Months old and I do not know where he is and I want to apply to the
    Courts to get exclusive custody.

I have tried this once before, without a lawyer, but the father never
    Showed up to the hearing and the judge didn't grant me a single thing
    I asked for. The father still has joint custody. I told and showed the
    Judge records of physical abuse on me when he broke my arm as well
    Records of marijuana abuse and a police record. Oh one other thing I
    Had my son as a high schooler and the father was a teacher at my then
    School. I know. Stupid but, those are my facts.

Current order says nothing as to me relocating with my son and nothing
    With regards to child support, which I never received, and frankly
    Don't want.. not that he has any money anyway. I want to leave the
    State (CA) with my soon to be husband and we are caught as to what
    Really we should do.

Does anyone know what the best way to try to get exclusive custody of
    My son knowing that the father will probably not show up to court
    Again even if we are able to track him down because he is scared of
    The police. Also the father will probably, out of spite, if he finds
    Out I am now happy being with someone else fight every thing I try to
    Accomplish.
    victoria_mitchell Posts: 242, Reputation: 32

Jun 2, 2007, 04:17 PM
    Keep fighting. I might only be 19 years old but I have spent what feels like an eternity in court rooms. My mother (a single mom with 3 kids) had the same problem nothing was granted to her for years. She kept going to court though, over and over because my step father like your X was scared of court and the police. She went for 2 years 7 times until the time my step dad DID show up in court and that was the day that that same jerk of a judge granted full custody to my mother in front of my POS step father. That was when I was 14 my brother was 9 and my sister 12 it took a long time but it was worth it. My advice keep going never give up never stop presing forward
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

Jun 3, 2007, 12:17 PM
    As long as the order you do has nothing regarding you not being able to relocate the child or move out of the state, you are free to move. In order to obtain full custody without the father you will need to go through the steps for abandonment. You will need to post an ad in newspapers for 4 weeks I believe it is. You have to prove a good faith effort in locating the absent parent before a judgment against them will be ordered in their absence. You really should get a lawyer to do this, it can be done! A lawyer would know the exact steps and default papers that would need to be filed with the courts to satisfy all your obligations legally. At the very least you can call a few lawyers locally and find out what you would need to do. I am in Cali as well and they will do free consultations over the phone. They do 1 so you can call as many as you'd like and get all the info you would pretty much need to know. But like I said, procedurally there is a lot of things that you would need to do so getting a lawyer would be best. But it CAN be done.

Here is a link to the statute you would need to go with for abandonment for "extreme parent disinterest" as well as the abuse issues and even to have your husband adopt your son as his: Grounds for Termination of Parental Rights California -

Good luck!
    hiperf402 Posts: 106, Reputation: -1

Jun 3, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Start voting Republican. Sounds like you had a liberal jackass appointed judge. Dem lib judges don't give a rats @$!about your rights as a decent parent.His heart bleeds for the dumb and criminal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No idea ? [ 5 Answers ]

Ok this is probably pointless and slightly silly and I know I'm stupid so I don't need telling that. It's 1.14am and I'm sat on a forum reading posts and thinking what the hell? I am at desperation point and getting rather frustrated with... well everything.. My period was due at the beginning of...

I have no idea what this is! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, You may not be able to help me but I will ask anyway. I have been very dry and sore down there. I have also had a rash on my breasts and my skin is really dry on my breasts. My periods have been up the wall lately as well. My boyfriend has also had red spots come up on his Penius and they...

I have NO idea what to do. [ 1 Answers ]

Okay so there is this guy that likes me a lot that I sort of like but I like this other guy so much more and I think I'm in love with him but I don't know. I'm sort of stuck in between. But I'm only 14 so I don't think I am in love but maybe I am. This guy makes me feel special. We have the...

Have an idea [ 2 Answers ]

This is a really good place to get your own websites. I use it for my own business. Its only $4 a month with no hidden charges. You do not have to know web design, If you can use this site, then you can easily create an effective site of your own. No software to buy or download. Everything is...

View more questions Search