Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meatloaf Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2005, 05:48 AM
    Ford f150 charging problems
    My f150 battery smells like eggs and will not hold a charge I replaced the battery and the att. Still over charges and battery goes dead over night both are new replaced 3 times now any ideas would be great drawing a blank on this one
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

May 5, 2005, 06:40 AM
    Overcharges? As in getting too many Volts? Sounds like something's wrong with the alternator or whatever part is controlling the voltage.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 5, 2005, 07:36 AM
    I am not familiar with Fords. Since new alternators continue to over charge the battery, the problem could be an external voltage regulator. If like the newer GM stuff, the voltage regulator is in the alternator, but the alternator has 4 different wires going to it, the one for sensing the voltage could have a bad connection giving a low voltage signal to the alternator. Check for an external voltage regulator and clean up all the connections to the alternator and where all the wires come from. Also clean up your grounds, from the battery to the engine and body.
    dpierce1183 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2010, 04:10 PM
    I put in a new alternator, my battery is brand new. 12.46 volts when truck not running. When truck is running I am up to 14.46 volts and I have a check charging system on display screen and my battery light comes on. I have a 2004 ford 150
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 04:13 PM

Idle rpm may be too low.
    justcollazo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2011, 11:30 AM
    Its funny I have this problem battery is good new alternater still get check battery light I will check my volyages and get back with you guys Maxamus

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

97 Nissan Sentra starting/charging system problems [ 1 Answers ]

I am having some problem with a 97 Nissan Sentra starting and charging system. It first would not start but would get lights on the dash, so I had the battery and alternator tested both on and off the car. They both tested bad (12.9 volts output on the alt), so I replaced the battery and got an...

Ford Power Stroke Diesel Problems [ 27 Answers ]

I'm looking for a 3/4 ton pick-up and noticed there are a lot of Ford F-250's for sale that have the "Power Stroke" 6L diesel engine. A friend of mine told me to stay away from them because they have problems, but couldn't be more specific. Anybody know the history on these engines?:confused:

95 F150 AC Compressor [ 3 Answers ]

These 107 degree days took a toll on my truck's a/c compressor, got too hot and blew off the freon cap. I took the truck to a mechanic who quoted $600 to $1,000 to replace the compressor. I could see the damage to the compressor. I can buy a re-built compressor for $175 with a year warranty. ...

Charging Home Unit [ 2 Answers ]

On the gages which I have, are three scales... One in Black PSI), one in Green for R-22, and one in red for R-12 refrigerant. It was suggested that I add refrigerant till the suction side (LP) is about 55-60 PSI and the Head pressure is 150-175 psi. I did this and the unit is 'cooling' however is...

View more questions Search