Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arbeau Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 09:03 PM
    Honda Accord Won't Start
    I have a 81 honda accord 5 speed, while I was driving it would shut off for a second and instantly go back on. Now it doesn't start at all, headlights won't go on, interior lights won't go on, just nothing, I check the battery and it is fine. What could it be?
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

May 7, 2007, 09:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by arbeau
    i have a 81 honda accord 5 speed, while i was driving it would shut off for a second and instantly go back on. now it doesnt start at all, headlights wont go on, interior lights wont go on, just nothing, i check the battery and it is fine. What could it be?
    WOW I am glad I am on here because I have had very similar experiences with my honda and I have the same one. Now if the lights will not go on then it basically has to be the Alternator, battery or it could be the rotor button ot spark plugs but if it was the spark plugs or rotor button the lights should come on! Ok you say that the lights will not come on and so that has to be one of those that I just mentioned... Is your battery charged because your alternator could be bad and that is draining the battery. Anyway NO lights indicate BAD BATTERY. Is your wipers dead as well? It sounds like a alternator because if you have a GOOD battery or a new battery a alternator will cause the problems. I have had 4 alternators go bad in my honda since I purchased it. I would have to say that most likely you need a alternator.. If you do need the alternator it will cost about $230-250 installed for this car. If it is the battery well that's about $50 bucks... I am sorry but that Is all that I think it could be

May 7, 2007, 09:48 PM
    Also.. check the battery connections as well because the car is old. I recently had to replace mine. It has to be alternator or battery or battery connections. You can purchase a cheap alternator at the junk yard and have it installed for around $130 total.. if that is the case. If it is the connections you may have to replace them and it is only $20. I have to say that it does sound like a bad alternator, also check the water in the battery. It has to be the battery, battery connector or alternator. Could be something else but I doubt it.

May 8, 2007, 12:56 AM
    I just got an alternator last year, (new) and battery (new). I tested my battery its good, I think it is just corroded wires or something, I guess I'll have to just check the wires that lead from my battery, its not giving power somewhere there... When my alternator went last year my battery light came on, I didn't know what the heck was going on, I had to get a jump evey 5 minutes. But as soon as I bought a new one everything was good to go. I did't get no batter light on this time. (CONFUSING) man o man o man.

May 8, 2007, 03:29 AM
    That is exactly what mine did... I had to jump start it every 5 minutes... I have been through about 5 alternators in 2 years that I bought from Auto Zone thank God for the lifetime warranty. Sometimes the battery indicator light would come on and sometimes it would not with my Honda and when the Alternator was bad. Hondas are bad for alternator problems and NO START problems in general. It is probably something wrong with the battery connectors, I just replaced mine, a mechanic put in and it only cost $20 but it will cost less if you can do it yourself. When my connectors went bad I was confused because all of my inside and outside lights came on but my car would not start. It acted like it was going to start but did not. Finally after trying for a few minutes it cranked up. I figured that since my lights were working that maybe my starter was bad or my starter plug was loose. I took it to Auto Zone just to see if the could check it for free and they did. The guy said that he could not getting a reading off the battery and to check my battery wires. Finally he got a reading that my battery was fine an so that is when I took it to have the connectors replaced.

Keep in touch and let me know what the problem is because this had got me wondering.. When my connectors were bad the lights were working, all of them and the car wouldn't crank. Finally I did get it to crank though and then the next time it would not crank and after resting a while it would crank up again. I just decided to get it checked once it started up so I didn't have to get it towed and pay additional expences.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 8, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Read sections A and B below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...das-46563.html

May 8, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey

Hmmmmm, does it look like a flasher? Because I just recently had to change the flasher because my turnsignals wouldn't work, and I didn't know which one to change because underneath behind the fuses (so hard to get at) there are 3 thingys, a small flasher, (the one I replaced for the turn signals) and there was a bigger one twice the size as the first flasher, and I replaced it too because my turn signals still didn't work after changing the first one. But I couldn't find the same as it too... And there is another thing where they are I think its black, is this the thingy your talking about?? (I hope all this made sense)
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 8, 2007, 06:20 PM
    You need to carefully read Sections A and B, in the previously given link, and run through the three basic diagnostic questions and other tests listed. If you do, it should help your zero-in on where the problem resides. I don't think it has anything to do with the flasher.

It may be a bad ignition switch, but follow the tests.

May 9, 2007, 08:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    You need to carefully read Sections A and B, in the previously given link, and run through the three basic diagnostic questions and other tests listed. If you do, it should help your zero-in on where the problem resides. I don't think it has anything to do with the flasher.

It may be a bad ignition switch, but follow the tests.

Well, remember the flasher thing I was talking about, I took the old one and put it back in my car and, guess what happens, my lights go on, my stereo works, everything started working but when I went to start the car everything shut off again, so it needs to be replaced. ( so I am guessing that is what the problem is) :eek: craaaaaaazy, so I went to napa and asked if they had any of whatever it is, but I have to go to honda they says. It looks just like a flasher but twice the size. Damn I don't even know what this part is called lol.

May 23, 2007, 07:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arbeau
    i have a 81 honda accord 5 speed, while i was driving it would shut off for a second and instantly go back on. now it doesnt start at all, headlights wont go on, interior lights wont go on, just nothing, i check the battery and it is fine. What could it be?
    I figured out what it was, i found a big white wire underneath the steering wheel behind the fuses it was burnt and melted.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 23, 2007, 07:13 AM
    PLEASE! PLEASE! Find out why that wire melted!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

96 Honda Accord ***won't Start**** [ 4 Answers ]

A week ago my car started to act up and not start on the first attempt, I had the starter changed and did a regular oil change on the car since it was due anyway. I continued to have the problem I then had the spark plugs changed and timing/idle adjusted, checked all the fuses still the same...

92 Honda Accord won't start [ 8 Answers ]

I recently bought a 92 honda accord ex and it has been giving me starting troubles. In Dec, the mechanic figured it out a the distributor problem and I got a new one put in. But a month and a half later.. again it won't start. The mechanic again thinks it is the distributor or the computer (after...

96 honda accord won't start. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 96 honda accord ex which had a blown engine. I swapped over another engine and was able to get it to run twice, but since then, it just cranks over and feels like it wants to start up but then dies again. I'm getting spark, timing isn't an issue. I'm getting fuel to the fuel rail but it...

My '85 Honda Accord Won't Start [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know much about cars at all, so please forgive me if this doesn't make much sense. I own an '85 Honda Accord. The battery light came on, and I continued to drive it for a few days not thinking anything of it. Well I pull into a gas station, and when I go to pull out it wouldn't start. It...

My 91 honda accord won't start [ 3 Answers ]

I found out my starter was loose on my car last week when it won't crank so I had it tighten and everything was perfect until last night when I got in the car and it crunk for 2 seconds and cut off it tries to crank but it won't so I'am trying to figure out if it' probably the starter or timing...

View more questions Search