Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Beanman3000 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2005, 02:44 PM
    1993 Mazda MPV brakes
    I have a '93 MPV (rear ABS) that is displaying some odd braking behavior. When I pump the brakes, the pedal travels slowly to the floor (it goes farther with each pump) until it bottoms out. Then the idiot light comes on. When I release the brakes, the braking returns to normal and the light goes out. There is plenty of fluid, though it is dirty and should be replaced. Does anyone have any ideas what these symptoms indicate?

Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2005, 07:04 PM
    Sounds like a bad master cylinder. If you just keep a steady pressure on it, will it slowly go to the floor? If so, rebuild/replace it. Don't worry about the brake fluid. Replacing it does nothing to help the aged, worn rubber parts and the fresh fluid does not contact the most vulnerable parts of the caliper. Better to follow up with rebuild/replace the wheel cylinders and calipers next lining change unless it has been done in the last few years. Once you have done that, all the old fluid is gone anyhow. The dangers of old fluid are greatly exaggerated.

When you reinstall the master cylinder, you must bleed it before connecting the brake lines. You must then bleed the calipers and wheel cylinders. Be very careful not to twist off the bleed screws. If they don't come with reasonable effort, pulling harder will just twist them off.
    Beanman3000 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2005, 04:45 AM
    Labman
    Thanks, I think that you are correct, nothing else fits. Yes, the brake pedal does travel all the way to the floor, albeit slowly. Thankfully there is a fair amount of room under the hood to work on things. I know what you mean by being gentle with the bleed screws - been there, done that, bought the new parts. :)

I will let you know how I make out - won't be getting at it until the weekend, though.

Thanks again, Andrew.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1993 Mazda MPV charging system [ 3 Answers ]

MPV, 3.0L V6. Had an issue with the charge light and fuel light coming on at the same time (gas tank half full). Voltage at the battery with engine running was 11.3 volts. Replaced the alternator and everything was fine, voltage showed 14.0 volts. Went for a short drive and charge and fuel...

Brakes [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1999 dodge intrepid es 78,000 miles abs brakes with traction control I 'am have problems with front brakes draging real bad and brake pedal getting real hard only in stop and go traffic

View more questions Search