Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Mar 17, 2005, 07:07 AM
    Problem with brakes
    My brake pedal started acting strange today. Before, when I would press it, the car would brake normally, and the pedal would stand where it is. Today when I press the pedal, it starts braking normally, but then gradually starts braking less... if I keep pressing in the pedal it would brake the same, but eventually I will hit the floor with the pedal and it would just not brake any harder any more. Before I could only press the pedal about 40% to the floor and couldn't move it any more no matter how hard I press. Now it simply sinks gradually. What could be the problem here?

The car is Honda Civic 91 1.5, no ABS/ALB.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2005, 08:35 AM
    You have a fluid leak. If the level isn't dropping in the reservoir, the master cylinder is leaking from one side to the other. You will have to replace it or rebuild it. Your manual should give instructions for rebuilding it. It should be cheaper than a rebuilt one. Take it off, disassemble it, and clean it up good. Use a silicone grease to lubricate the parts as you put it back. Don't let any conventional oil touch any of the rubber parts. It will swell and ruin them. If you need more help, let me know.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Mar 17, 2005, 01:32 PM
    Thank you very much for your reply.

Brake fluid level hasn't changed in the reservoir. However, I have driven the car again a few hours after this had happened, and now it's working fine again, I cannot push it in more than 50%. Just like it used to be.

If it does happen again - I know what to look for in my manual :)

On a side note, I like how my Civic's brake pedal feels. You can control how much you want it to brake. Not like that Volkswagen Caddy... in that car the resistance of the brake pedal does not increase with the strength you're using to push it in. So my parents tell me I brake like a lunatic once I have to drive them around in the Caddy.

On a second side note: Congratulations to you, labman, on your 1000+ posts :) You're doing a good job :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Brakes [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire in a Tekonsha Electric Brake controller into a 1992 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab? Thanks for your replies!

2000Dodge Inrepid A/C and Brakes [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am a girl and I had my car looked at because my A/C was blowing hot and they checked it for leaks with dye etc and recharged it that lasted about a week what is wrong with it? It wasn't charged when I got it at the used car dealership either and I made them charge it but that didn't last long...

Brakes [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1999 dodge intrepid es 78,000 miles abs brakes with traction control I 'am have problems with front brakes draging real bad and brake pedal getting real hard only in stop and go traffic

1993 Mazda MPV brakes [ 2 Answers ]

I have a '93 MPV (rear ABS) that is displaying some odd braking behavior. When I pump the brakes, the pedal travels slowly to the floor (it goes farther with each pump) until it bottoms out. Then the idiot light comes on. When I release the brakes, the braking returns to normal and the light...

Brakes [ 1 Answers ]

91 honda accord exr the problem i am having is with my brakes. Sometimes the brakes drag but i have check the sliders and they are okay. Also sometimes when u turn or even going straight u hear a funny noise. Like 2 pieces of metal touching for a second. Any idea?

View more questions Search