Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dpen71 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2005, 03:36 PM
    1996 Dodge Ram Heating Problem.
    Looking to buy a dodge ram 1500 pickup truck but there is a heating problem. IT HAS NO HEAT. Can anyone help me. The carlot says maybe just a thermostat, well how much work goes into changing a thermostat and what would it cost me to get this replaced?
    HAS ANYONE HAD ANY major problems with the heat on a DODGE Pickup truck or is this worth getting fixed and buy this truck. It is in good shape nothing wrong but the heat. PLEASE ADVISE>

Thanks
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2005, 04:03 PM
    The thermostat is very simple to replace and can be up to 5 bucks to buy. Just don't put it in upside down. Now maybe the heater coil is plugged up and needs unclogging as well. Should be a maximum of 20 bucks to get the thermostat replaced. That should included the thermostat in that price.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2005, 06:37 PM
    Thermostats are cheap, and on a truck usually are easy to replace. Does the truck have a heat gage? If it runs in the middle of the range, normal, the thermostat is OK. If I was selling a truck, I would take care of simple fixes like a stat. Chances are it is the heater core or the controls. They tend to be buried up under the dash and a major pain to fix. I would tell the guy to fix the stat if that is all it is, and then you will look at the truck.

Check the dip stick and try to look in the valve covers through the oil filler. If the truck has been run cold because of a bad stat, it may be sludged up.

Feb 20, 2005, 02:47 PM
    Thanks for all the info.. Seems they are saying it is the heater core.. and say it will cost $350.00 dollars to fix.. $50 for the part and $300 for the labor, does that sound about right. Is it that hard to fix?

Thanks again .
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2005, 03:51 PM
    50 bucks is about right for that part, but 300, I would say since I know nothing hardly were it is in that vehicle if it's a hard place to get to then well maybe, but a heater coil is simply a mini radiator, has a hose going through and one coming out and isn't that hard to work on. But if its hidden behind a lot of stuff and plus you might not want antifreeze all over the ground at your house I would say its reasonable but depends also on their hour rates as well.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2005, 05:45 PM
    ''They tend to be buried up under the dash and a major pain to fix.'' It wouldn't take having to rip out and put back too much to get at a heater core to run $250.

Feb 21, 2005, 03:56 PM
    Thanks for all the answers.. LOOKS LIKE They are keeping the Truck I am not going to stick 300-400 more dollars into this thing when they are asking $5500.00 for the thing anyway... No maybe if the fixed the heat I would be willing to spend $5500.00 on the truck.

But Thanks again.
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2005, 06:29 PM
    Well you could tell them that, but hey 5,500 isn't bad for that model, that's actually the best price I've seen if it has little miles on it I would seriously consider.
    deweyrob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2005, 11:39 AM
    Same problem
    I recently borrowed a 96 Dodge Ram 1500 to haul some stuff. I assumed everything was OK until it froze up going down the interstate. I let it cool down, and stopped and got some antifreeze. I put it in, and the temp gauge is normal now, but the heater doesn't work anymore. I hate to give it back like it is, but I also don't want to put a new heater core in just because I happened to borrow it on a 15 degree day. Any ideas?

Dec 9, 2005, 03:27 PM
    Good Luck
    Looks like the truck I was looking at, ended up being the heater core I think they said but it had other issues.. Someone has screwed up the wiring and it didn't have brake lights so I didn't buy the truck... Sorry I think I would just let the people know that the heat quit on me... Besides that we got a better deal on a different truck.. 97 Dodge Dakota Sport.. with 4 wheel drive and a Cap for the back part...
    pazzo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2006, 08:33 PM
    1996 dodge ram 1500 sport heating problem
    Ihave a 1996 dodge ram 1500 sport and I get no heat until I rev it to about 2000 rpm. I have flushed the system and changed the thermostat and also the water pump... what next?
    dblakeman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2009, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dpen71 View Post
    looking to buy a dodge ram 1500 pickup truck but there is a heating problem. IT HAS NO HEAT. Can anyone help me. The carlot says maybe just a thermostat, well how much work goes into changing a thermostat and what would it cost me to get this replaced?
    HAS ANYONE HAD ANY major problems with the heat on a DODGE Pickup truck or is this worth getting fixed and buy this truck. It is in good shape nothing wrong but the heat. PLEASE ADVISE>

Thanks
    My 1996 Dodge Ram Sport pickup with a 5.2 was doping the same thing. We have replaced the 2 or 3 thermosat, radiator cap, and many more things. None of these fixed the problem. I found out my radiator is pluged. I will either have to get a new one or have this one recored.
    Many Dodge radiators have this problem. Check for cool or cold spots on radiator after it has heated up. Simple check for a small repair. Don't get rid of it just check the radiator. A flush will not rapair the problem if it is really pluged up.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 05:13 PM
    The problem is usually caused by phosphate scale. Only use a 50/50 mixture of original Zerex green antifreeze (or equivalent) and distilled water in your 1996 Dodge truck.
    JGM50 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2010, 12:09 PM
    Truck is cold low air at idle 120 +/-degress run down highway turn heat to hi air temp dropps to 90
    Change stat worked for about 8hrs is their a deverter for outside air or inside air recqulation
    Rad temp 190 tells me stat should be good can't figure why it worked for awhile. Second time last year
    Stat was stuck open changed was fine do I have different promblem
    nicolegiron Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2010, 03:31 PM
    I have a 96 dodge ram. I have to pay $763 for a new heater coil and radiator. The parts aren't expensive but the labor is what gets you. They say the radiator is easy to fix but they have to take a lot of parts off the truck to get to the coil itself. Can't even run the truck because fluids are gushing out when I fill them up. Nice to know I am spending around the same as you.
    chrisglor1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2011, 08:54 PM
    i have a 96 dodge ram 4x4 we were going down the highway and had the heat on and i turned it off as i was hot then i got cold so turned it back on i didn't get heat looked at the gauge and it was on hot so pulled over and it smoked out got it towed put thermastate in now it blows out heat but its not as hot as it should be what is wrong?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Heater runs with A/C [ 3 Answers ]

The A/C is blowing HOT air in my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup. The A/C compressor is running, the suction line cools and sweats, the charge and pressures look good. Our family business is mechanical contracting, so I had one of our A/C techs put a set of gauges on the system and he said everything...

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Super Sport Radiator [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram Truck 5.9 Liter that has been running hot the past couple of weeks. There was a couple of times that I thought that the engine was going to over heat but never did. Some brown liquid was coming out of the radiator but I could not tell from where. Is this a common problem...

97 Chevy S-10 heating and idle problem [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 97 Chevy s-10 standard model. Lately it has been overheating where it is pegged on the gage. I wasn't even sure I could get home the other day. What should I do? Also it doesn't idle very well and this has been getting worse lately. I am afraid it is going to quit is traffic and I will be...

Heating problem [ 7 Answers ]

I have an oil fired heating system in my house with hot water baseboards. Most of the house is heated fine except for the kitchen and 2nd. Bathroom. These rooms or split off the main trunk feed and return lines but my main bathroom on the second floor is also getting it's heat from this line and...

Heating problem! [ 6 Answers ]

As I was watchingTV this morning I noticed that it was getting hotter and hotter in the house. I looked at the thermostat and it was not calling for heat, but it was still blowing very hot air. I turned the thermostat to the off position and it would not turn off. I tried cycling it through the...

View more questions Search