debbie15301 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2012, 07:54 AM
    Honda crv 2006 has code1009
    How much does this it cost to repair this code 1009 on honda 2006 crv
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2012, 08:33 AM
    DTC P1009 = Variable Valve Timing Control (VTC) Advance Malfunction

The variable valve timing control (VTC) system controls the phase of the intake camshaft. It uses oil pressure to operate the VTC actuator so the valve timing is optimized, depending on driving conditions. The ECM monitors the phase control command and the actual timing of the camshaft by using the camshaft position (CMP) sensor A. If an over-advanced camshaft phase, compared to the directed value, continues, or when the camshaft phase is otherwise abnormal, a malfunction is detected and a DTC is stored in the ECM.

It can be an oil pressure issue--ensure the oil level is correct and that there is no sludging. Sludging can be disastrous on VTEC engines. Ensure the proper oil, viscosity, and filter are being used. Another common problem are VTEC solenoids going bad, which is a job best left for the dealer to repair.

For VTEC engines, I only recommend full-synthetic engine oil (e.g. Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum SAE 5W-20). Therefore, I would start by changing the oil and filter, using synthetic oil and a premium Mobil 1 filter ($50). Do this every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. This may emulsify any sludge and the Check Engine Light may go out on its own; if not, use a code reader to try and erase the code. If the problem persists, have Honda replace the VTEC solenoid, which will likely cost around $200.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2006 honda trx450r [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 2006 honda trx450r it has been in 4 different mechanics hands and they all tell me its fine until I get it home. First I had sent it out for new rings, and valve stems re-adjusted and replaced then he told me there was an electrical issue other than paying 60$ per hour for him to figure it...

2006 honda crv relays [ 3 Answers ]

2006 Honda CRV-starts fine but A/C, fans, power windows, and power door locks will not operate,-radio, wipers, lights work. Is there a relay that controls the inoperative accessories or is the key switch likely at fault.

View more questions Search