Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mnacki Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2012, 02:53 PM
    Mechanical problems-2003 jeep liberty
    My 2003 jeep liberty won't stay powered I have had the battery replaced how many times already and am getting very frustrated to have the mechanics tell me there is nothing wrong with it. It won't keep power in the battery very long I think there is something draining it but I don't know what it is??
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2012, 04:55 PM
    Parasitic battery drain is the cumulative load produced by electrical devices (e.g. ECMs, clocks, security alarms, and radio presets), when the ignition is turned off. These items continue to operate, when the ignition has been switched off, and are becoming an ever increasing problem. Normal parasitic loads are below 75 milliamps (.075 amps). When parasitic load is greater than 75 milliamps, batteries will drain even faster. Glove box, trunk, and under hood lights that do not automatically turn off when the door is closed, or shorted alternator diodes, are common offenders. Cooling fans, power seat belt retractors, radios and dome lights left on, alarm systems, and electric car antennas can also cause batteries to drain overnight. Leaving headlights on will usually discharge a fully charged car battery, with 90 minutes of reserve capacity (36 amp hours), in a couple of hours.

Two methods are used to test for parasitic load (engine off, under hood light disconnected, accessories off, and vehicle doors closed):

1. The basic approach is to connect a 12-volt bulb across the positive and negative battery terminals to test the bulb and battery. If it glows brightly, remove the negative battery cable and connect the bulb in series between the negative battery cable connector and the negative battery terminal. If the bulb continues to glow brightly, start removing fuses or connections to the positive battery, one-at-a-time, until the offending electrical component is identified by the bulb dimming.

2. The best approach is to use a DC ammeter, connected in series between the negative battery cable connector and the negative battery terminal, or a clamp meter (set to DC amps), clamped around the negative battery cable. Starting with the highest scale (or set multi-meter to auto range), determine current load. If load is above 75 milliamps, after the initial surge, start removing fuses or connections to the positive battery post, one-at-a-time, until the offending electrical component is identified by the parasitic load dropping to 75 milliamps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

04 Jeep Liberty my heat won't get hot [ 3 Answers ]

I have checked all fuse I have done the compute I have done the c is there anyway to check th is there anyway to or the doo the door blender without cracking the das without cracking the dash opening

Jeep Liberty isn't putting out any heat? [ 3 Answers ]

Jeep 2003 liberty, only 60 000kms. Upper radiator hose is hot but lower is cold. Very little heat coming into vehicle?

Jeep liberty lift? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi. Does anyone know if I can get my 09 jeep liberty lifted?

2009 Jeep Liberty Capabilities [ 0 Answers ]

I've read all I can find about towing capacity, load carrying capacity,etc. Depending on where I look I get different answers, and some don't make any sense at all. The Liberty has the tow package (says towing is 5000#). Also says GCWR (total towing & carrying) is 6135#s. The door sticker says...

2004 Jeep Liberty [ 2 Answers ]

The heat will not come through the ducts until the engine revs above idle only cold air. I noticed the coolant was low so I filled to the line and it worked the heat comes on during idle. After 3 days it stops working during idle and I noticed the coolant level was low again. I see no white smoke...

View more questions Search