Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    somebody123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 08:08 PM
    Roll over 401k on leaving country permanently before retirement?
    I came to NY on F1 in Aug 2005. I did a summer internship in 2006 in NJ and I also lived in NJ for those 2.5 months. Went back to school in NY and graduated in Dec 06. My OPT started 1/1/2007. I am currently working full time and my H1B will be filed by company this year. I am thinking about the cons of investing in 401k.

A) 1. What happens if I leave the United States in say 3, 5, 7 years to go back to India permanently?
    2. Can I roll over the money to a provident fund account in India.
    3. Will I be taxed on it?
    4. Will I also have to pay the 10% penalty?

B) 5. Can I keep the 401k in US while I work and retire in India and withdraw it after retirement? Are Tax and Penalty charged here also?

C) 6. Since Ive heard of rolling over the account to IRA instead. Can I keep the IRA account in US when I leave? Tax and Penalty?

Which is the option that will have the least penalty. Depending on that I would like to invest a greater amount in 401k.

Thanks for your help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2007, 08:54 PM
    1) You can roll the money into a rolover IRA and leave it in the U.S. managing it via phone and email.

2) Do not know.

3) Eventually, you will be taxed on it, but that can be managed.

4) Yes, if you take it out before you are 59.5 years of age.

5) Yes.

6) Yes.

Do some research and study your options. You have the time to educate yourself, so do so!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaving the country.while on Probation [ 28 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are going to leave the country in a couple days for a 5 ngiht vacation. His court ruling just ended and he was put under 2 years probabtion and a misdemeanor. It says he can't leave the state without his probation officer's approval, but nothing about the country. Is there anyway...

Roll my 401k [ 1 Answers ]

I will retire in 2 months I want to roll my 401k over into the best instrument for monthly income to supplement my pension & social security how should I proceed

401K roll-over question [ 4 Answers ]

I requested that my 401k from my former employer be sent to my 401k at my new employer. The old 401k company mailed the check to me although I had given explicit instructions to send the check to the new 401k company. The check is made payable to "New 401k company FBO 'my name'. Can this...

401K - to roll or cash [ 1 Answers ]

When I received notification of my QDRO back in 2000 I chose to put it into a 401K with the option (so I thought) of receiving a monthly payment once I reached a certain age. But not being 100% sure, I called the Benefits Office earlier this week and found out that I can 'cash it in' or roll it...

Tax and 401k when leaving USA permanently [ 1 Answers ]

I have been working in the US (San Francisco) for 4+ years on an H1-B visa but am leaving permanently in October. What are the tax implications of this move? Also, I have $32,000 fully-vested in a 401k plan which I plan to cash in, what amount can I expect to be taxed from this? And is leaving the...

View more questions Search