Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcd11 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2012, 09:27 PM
    Honda 03 pilot, pulsative idle, egr valve or throttle body? Check engine and vtm-4
    Appreciate in advance the advice

Honda pilot 03
    Pulsatile idle from 1000 to 1700, then once warm stablized at 1500 when vtm-4 light came on.

So check engine light and vtm-4 light on

Reviewed web--seems like egr valve is misbehaving

Plugged in my code reader (which I understand will not read honda vtm-4 codes) and it threw out p 0505 (which I believe is throttle body. Took air intake off and sprayed it out (throttle body) but made no difference, so think I will go after the egr valve (about $80 for after market part).

So my question(s): does this seem like a good line of thinking? Should I try to clean or repair valve or just replace?

Thanks!
    Matt
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2012, 04:59 AM
    I would replace the EGR Valve and start using full synthetic engine oil (e.g. Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum), which will help the EGR Valve and the rest of the emissions control system stay cleaner.
    mcd11 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2012, 09:29 PM
    Thanks much. Will get one on the way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help: replaced the idle air control valve and I still get "check engine light". [ 5 Answers ]

Had a scanner and it told me to replace idle air control valve, after replacing it, I still get the check engine light. Car is not surging and happens only when parked, not driving. RPM is 1000-1200

Why is check engine light still coming on after replacing egr valve? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently replaced the EGR valve on my wife's 1999 Honda Odyssey. I took it to the auto parts store and they did the diagnostic test. I bought new EGR and put it on. I reset the check engine light by disconnecting the battery cable. This lasted just a short while and the light came back on. I...

EGR Valve - Check Engin Light [ 2 Answers ]

Hope someone can help me here... I have a 2000 Ford Expolrer with a V8 and AWD. Back at the end of June the check engin light cam on and I took it to my local shop. They checked the code and told me it needed a new EGR valve position sensor which they replaced. Two weeks later the light was back...

What is wrong when you have replaced the egr valve plus cleaned the line check engine [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1999 camry. The check engine light keep coming on. I have replaced the EGR valve and cleaned the EGR valve plus the mounting pipe leading to the EGR valve and the throttle body.I used throttle cleaner. I have done this a number of times and the light comes back on. Could it possibly have...

2001 Honda Civic Slow to Idle down;Check engine light [ 7 Answers ]

My 2001 Civic HX presented a check engine light with OBD 2 Codes P1166 and P1167. Runs normal with the exception of not idling down after acceleration or reving the engine. RPM's come down to 1200-1500 (normal running temp) for up to a second before returning to normanl RPM, approximately 750. ...

View more questions Search