Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scmcb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Ford 250, 1991, Diesel Starting
    I have a 1991 f250 diesel. It runs great but starts up poorly when it sits for more than a day. :eek: I found some cracked return lines and replaced them. If it sits for more than a day or two it will try to start, run a few seconds and then shut down. After that it takes five or six (or more) starts to get going. This is causing wear and tear on the starter and concerns me. It does start up in hot or cold areas and the glow plugs check out. :) I think trapped air, fuel injector or injector pump are possible causes. Any ideas:confused:
    ludy3 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scmcb
    I have a 1991 f250 diesel. It runs great but starts up poorly when it sits for more than a day. :eek: I found some cracked return lines and replaced them. If it sits for more than a day or two it will try to start, run a few seconds and then shut down. After that it takes five or six (or more) starts to get going. This is causing wear and tear on the starter and concerns me. It does start up in hot or cold areas and the glow plugs check out. :) I think trapped air, fuel injector or injector pump are possible causes. Any ideas:confused:
    Is this the 7.3 diesel?they have a fuel transfer pump very similar to an automotive type--check the tranfer pressure--if it is not to spec it will be hard starting.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2007, 07:49 PM
    See if this could be part of your problem.

In cold weather this year, many diesel owners have had problems with the new ultralow-sulfur fuel. The problem comes during the refining process used to attain the ultralow-sulfur ratio. That affects the naturally occurring wax in diesel in such a way that it can cause the fuel to turn from liquid to gel more readily in cold temperatures. Gelled fuel clogs the fuel filters and starves the engine, causing it to stop. Diesel fuel additives, such as Amsoil's, and ultraclean kerosene added to the fuel help prevent this problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ford power stroke diesel engine [ 7 Answers ]

My 97 Ford f350 power stroke diesel quit on the way to work . The fuel filter was changed Then on the way home it quit again. After sitting for a little bit it started again. It will run good for about 15 minutes then shuts off. What could be wrong with it?

Diesel ford truck [ 2 Answers ]

When my ford 7.3 turbo diesel is cold, it makes a loud hissing sound about every 10 sec and last for 10 sec. Anyone know what could cause it? Thank you. Jeff

Ford 2005 6.0 diesel [ 8 Answers ]

I have had a rough idle problem with the 6.0 diesel, I take it to Ford and they repair it but never tell what they did. It has happened again for the third time, any ideas what could be happening?? Thanks

Ford Power Stroke Diesel Problems [ 27 Answers ]

I'm looking for a 3/4 ton pick-up and noticed there are a lot of Ford F-250's for sale that have the "Power Stroke" 6L diesel engine. A friend of mine told me to stay away from them because they have problems, but couldn't be more specific. Anybody know the history on these engines?:confused:

Ford diesel 7.3 oil problem [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2000 f-250 w/7.3 the gally plug o-rings keep blowing out anyone know of a problem that may cause this or if ford has a problem with the o-rings.

View more questions Search