Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    4jeanie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 07:45 PM
    2002 Nissan Altima Heating/Engine problems
    Help! I know nothing about cars and have been trying to research my problem. For many miles, I have complained periodically of what I thought was a bad muffler (noisy, kind of mild vibration on acceleration) and the engine not running smoothly, and lack of heat.

Since then, my records show that they have replaced what looks like cylinder #2 and spark plugs. Also, the catalytic converter (they said that was the bad muffler-like noise). Also, they replaced the thermostat to fix the heat problem.

Still, it runs funny--sounds like a bad muffler, not good with giving heat at times, keeps losing coolant (no visible leak). They replaced the radiator cap, I think, hoping that would stop the coolant leak. It never runs well for long. Runs better when they add coolant. They have said they hope part of the old catalytic converter did not break off and ruin engine.

Now they say one cylinder is not working. It runs funny again and it sounds again like a bad muffler (noisy/vibrate) and rides rough. They say it will be expensive to take the engine apart and I probably should get a new engine at my expense since I have 112K miles.

My dealer says this should not happen on a 5 year old car and is rare. They tried to get Nissan to pay (declined) since they said this is not fair.

There have been lots of recalls on this car. Some people have posted that a design flaw with the car causes the pre-cat to break off or something and that small metal pieces get sucked into the engine and ruin it.

Does anyone have any insights? I am so upset and would appreciate any thoughts you might have. Thank you.
    RayRamey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2010, 01:55 PM
    Sorry to be the one to tell you but it sounds like you've got a blown head gasket...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2002 Nissan Altima "Service Engine Soon" light [ 1 Answers ]

Good day, I am looking for some info on how to reset my service engine soon light. It came on the other day and I would like to reset it and see if it will come back on before I take it to my mechanic. If any could help me out with this I would be grateful. Thanks dutchy1974

2002 Nissan Altima [ 15 Answers ]

I need some good advice. I have a 2002 Altima with 107,600 miles. The "Service Engine Soon" light went on in August of 2006. In Sept. I went ti Jiffy Lube for an oil change and the next day went to get my car inspected. Well the car failed inspection for emissions. In NJ only an authorized...

Locating Distributor 2002 Nissan Altima [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot find the distributor. I've looked at manuals, see pictures of it, but still can't find it. Can anyone help. Thanks.

Nissan altima 2002 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a Nissan Altima 2002 .I show under the milage a new world "ICY". Anybody got any advice/information? If any could help me out with this I would be grateful. Sonia

2002 Nissan Altima [ 1 Answers ]

I appreciate the advice and I will look into purchasing the oil and tester you mentioned. Do you know if other service centers can do repairs on Nissan with confidence or do I have to go to the Nissan serivce centers only? Also, can I manually turn off the service engine light by pulling a plug...

View more questions Search