Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lpenek Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2011, 11:44 PM
    Datsun 1982 4wd truck power steering fluid pump relaced
    I recently had a leaking power steering fluid pump and no power steering I bought a rebuilt replacement (Nissan is no longer making new ones so was necessary to get rebuilt from O'Reilys). My son removed old one and installed the new one which is not leaking but doesn't seem to be circulating fluid- or if it is, the power steering is still not working. Does it have to be primed, bled or anything else to get it working- I must add this is the 2nd rebuilt one as when he connected the first one it also didn't work so felt it was defective but this one has had identical result- is there something he is not doing? Any help would be great- very unpleasant to drive as is. Lynne Penek-Holden
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2011, 06:34 AM
    . Place front end on jack stands.

. Fill power steering reservoir with Mobil 1 Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF. Most Nissans/Datsuns require Dexron ATF in their power steering system. The Mobil 1 product will give you much better performance and insure long, trouble-free service, especially in cold weather.

. Start engine and slowly turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock a number of times, to force air from the system.

. Add additional fluid, as needed.

Nov 11, 2011, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    . Place front end on jack stands.

. Fill power steering reservoir with Mobil 1 Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF. Most Nissans/Datsuns just require Dexron ATF. The Mobil 1 product will give you much better performance and insure long, trouble-free service, especially in cold weather.

. Start engine and slowly turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock a number of times, to force air from the system.

. Add additional fluid, as needed.
    I forgot to mention this is not an automatic transmission but a manual- do your recommendations stay the same?

Nov 11, 2011, 12:15 PM
    The problem with the 1982 datsun 4wd is a standard shift, not automatic
    Texas grease monkey- I just got an answer from you re the replacement of the power steering pump on a 4wd datsun p/u where the pump no longer leaks but is not working the power steering- you advised putting ATF fluid in- It is not automatic but standard shift- do your recommendations remain the same?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2011, 01:02 PM
    Yes. Check your Owner's Manual, but most Datsun power steering units I've seen use Dexron ATF.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to move rear drive shaft when repaiaring clutch arm yoke in 1982 Datsun 280ZX? [ 1 Answers ]

You can't get to the bolts for the frame to drop the drive shaft. Any suggestions??

Brake rotor removal 82 datsun 4WD [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- we have an 82 datsun p/u 4WD that needs resurfacing of front brake rotor. Have removed caliper but can't get "plate" off that allows removal of rotor- is there a trick, or hidden bolt? Hope someone has some solution. Thanks, Lynne

What do I need to know to add power steering fluid? [ 3 Answers ]

After oil change at a garage I discover when steering got squeaky that cap was off my PS fluid and I've lost quite a bit. Is there a reason I would buy one PS fuuid over another other than brand choice (are they all the same no matter the vehicle?) and what might I need to know as far as how full...

View more questions Search