Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qbean75 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2011, 01:28 AM
    2001 Honda Civic will not restart after stalling.
    My 2001 Honda Civic will not restart after stalling. It restarts fine with battery jump start. Is this an easy fix?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2011, 06:41 AM
    Remove and fully charge, or replace, the battery. Most auto parts stores will do this for free.

Nov 10, 2011, 06:45 AM
    I had a new battery put in less than a year ago. Is there something else that could be causing the problem. If I stall the car or if I do not fully engage the clutch when turning the car off, it will not restart without having the battery jumped. However, if I turn off the car with the clutch in all the way, it turns back on just fine. The only problem happens when I accidentally stall.
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2011, 07:25 AM
    Anytime you have an electrical problem, you want to establish a baseline of known good items. This involves removing and fully charging the battery. You need to rule it out as a possible cause. Since it always restarts, when it is jumped, the battery is suspect. Afterwards, I would also have an auto parts store test the alternator for free. It may be bad and allowing the battery to discharge too much. The alternator's brushes may have worn down too far or there may be a problem with the voltage regulator. Regardless, these items need to be tested, since you are having to jump the battery.

Let me add that I never recommend jumping modern days vehicles. There's too much risk that a voltage spike or connecting the jumper cables wrong will destroy the ECM, alternator, or sensors. We've had more than our share of these situations at AMHD. These are nasty problems that are expensive to fix.

I'm not sure what the relationship is between the Neutral Safety Switch and why you have to depress the clutch pedal, before turning the ignition off. See if this "goes away," after the battery is charged. I would also clean the battery terminals and cable connections. Afterwards, ensure the connections are tight.

Nov 10, 2011, 08:47 AM
    Thank you, I appreciate your thorough response!
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2011, 09:05 AM
    Make sure they actually place the battery on a charger. Have them check the fluid level of each cell. Then, let it charge until the ammeter cuts back to between 1 and 2 amps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 Honda Civic rough idle & stalling [ 42 Answers ]

I have a 2001 Honda Civic, with approx. 77k miles, that recently has started idling very low. It doesn't happen all of the time, but often, when I'm coming to a stop, the car shakes violently and I can see that the idle is very low. This has been occurring for the past 2 months. When it first...

2001 Honda Civic Check engine light... stalling [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2001 Honda Civic LX and for the past 3 weeks my car will only go about 15-20 miles in this Oklahoma heat of 100-107 degrees.The car loses most of it's power and I have to pull over. The check engine light comes on and I have to let it sit about 10-15 minutes before it will go again. This...

Free answers 2001 Honda Civic problems with car stalling and engin light come on [ 1 Answers ]

My son has a 2001 Honda civic. When it is driven for awhile and you let it idle for awhile sometimes it will die and is then hard to re start. Till it sets for a shot peroid of time. Then it won't run over 20mph unless you let it set for 30 min to 2 hr. the engin light will be on and won't go off....

2001 Honda Accord stalling [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I have a 2001 accord lx and my check engine lights on got diagnosic and said it was the ignition control module. The shop told me to replace the whole distributor. Can't I buy the module

91 honda civic stalling [ 2 Answers ]

91 honda civic 1.5 lit stalls after its warmed up has new cap, rotor, wires coil and main relay usually starts right back up sometimes but has ext crank also when this happens

View more questions Search