Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    illinois1 Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Nov 7, 2011, 02:53 PM
    1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE 3.3 is leaking anti-freeze by timing chain cover
    I have a small leak and the repair is 700.00 car has 174,000 miles. If I do not get a new gasket can I continue to add anti-freeze as needed. The car is no way worth a 700.00 investment. I have done some stuff a door, struts, headlights, spindle, shocks, alternator. Nothing as big as this,I'm a novice mechanic would this be a good time to shop for another car instead of challenge my mechanical ability.

Got the print out for procedure and it does seem like a challenge of proportion.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.
    Drain the cooling system.
    Raise and safely support vehicle.
    Drain engine oil.
    Remove right front wheel and engine splash shield.
    Remove the oil pan and oil pick-up tube.
    Remove accessory drive belt.
    Remove the A/C compressor and position it out of the way.
    Remove crankshaft vibration damper.
    Remove the lower radiator hose.
    Remove the heater hose from the timing chain cover chousing, or water pump inlet tube(if equipped with oil cooler.
    Remove right engine mount.
    Remove idler pulley from the bracket..
    Remove engine mount bracket.
    Remove the camshaft position sensor.
    Remove the water pump for clearance.
    Remove the bolt attaching the power steering pump support strut to the fron cover..
    Remove the timing chain cover fasteners.
    Remove the timing chain cover.
    Remove the crankshaft oil seal from the cover.

This gets you to it and then you have to do it the other way correctly so you can drive it again.

Any info about choices or best choice, thanks in advance.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Nov 7, 2011, 03:13 PM
    What, exactly, is leaking? You say it's by the timing cover but you don't say what it is. Is it the water pump? The intake gasket leaking down onto the timing cover? A freeze plug behind the timing cover? There might be an easier way to do it based on what is actually leaking.

Nov 7, 2011, 09:05 PM
    When I took it to the shop to have it pressurized they looked at it and said it was the gasket which needed to be replaced.

I first thought it was the water pump but when I put it up on jack stands and looked close it was leaking a little very slowly behind where the water pump connected to. I thought it was the timing chain cover and they confirmed it was the gasket.

Its just dripping a little slowly. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Nov 8, 2011, 07:54 AM
    The timing chain cover gasket is leaking. I was told the cover will warp and this problem will occur. Can I continue to drive it and keep adding anti-freeze or will the problem increase?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Nov 8, 2011, 03:29 PM
    So... they told you that the timing cover is leaking antifreeze? I may be wrong here but I don't think it's possible. I have never seen coolant behind a timing cover... oil, yes... coolant, no.

Look around and see if there is a leak above the timing cover that may be running down the sides and maybe looks like it's coming from there. If you can't narrow it down, it may be time to go to someone else for a second opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transmission sensors plymouth grand voyager 96 [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 96 Plymouth grand Voyager 3.0 L, and need to replace both transmission sensors (input and output) I found pictures on differents sites about the location, but once I lift the car and start figuring out... I can't find them!! Where is exactly the location and what steps should I take...

Plymouth grand voyager 1998? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager with 3.3L engine and 4 speed automatic transmission. Today the speed and rpm gauges stopped to work. They show 0 while driving. What's the problem?

1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager BCM [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I replaced the BCM in my 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager with a used one from a salvage yard. As soon as we re-connected the battery, the alarm starting going off ( we did not even know the van had a security system as the alarm has never gone off and we do not have the keyless remote ) We...

1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager overheating [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager Espresso mini-van that has started to get hot when the temperature outside is above 90 degrees and the air conditioning is running with the engine on idle. If the car is moving at normal city driving speeds it is fine. If you turn the A/C off the engine cools...

View more questions Search