Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ballyb Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 08:16 AM
    VW passat warm start
    I have a volkswagen passat on 51 plate and it is having problems starting when warm used to do it rarely now is doing it on regulry basis I think its starting motor any ideas any one thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2007, 08:29 AM
    What year, engine, and model Passat? Why do you suspect the starter? What's the mileage?

Jan 31, 2007, 09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballyb
    i have a volkswagen passat on 51 plate and it is having problems starting when warm used to do it rarely now is doing it on regulry basis i think its starting motor any ideas any one thanks
    Its 2001 80000 miles saloon 2.0litre
    I sus pect starter because I know some one who had similar fault with a diff car that's all
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2007, 09:14 AM
    1. Let me say that if your engine cranks, the hard starting problem, when it's warm, is likely ignition related. New spark plugs are a common solution. Platinum plugs should be replaced at about half the recommended mileage. When you replace the plugs, use the same brand and plug number that came in the car. Cross-reference plugs frequently don't work nearly as well as OEM.
    2. I would also recommend you attach a scan tool to the data link connector and check for any codes. This should always be one of the first things done, when a problem appears. Autozone and many other auto part stores will not charge to check for codes.

Jan 31, 2007, 09:19 AM
    i have a volkswagen passat on 51 plate and it is having problems starting when warm used to do it rarely now is doing it on regulry basis i think its starting motor any ideas any one thanks
    You mention platinum plugs are they just spark plugs ?
    And thank you for your advice after work I will get some and if your on later I will get in touch if that's OK about 7 ish
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Yes, they are spark plugs. Remember to get the exact brand and no. that came in your Passat.

If you have not replaced your fuel filter, I would recommend doing so.

Jan 31, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Fuel filter are they not only on the diesels? Do you mean the in line filter
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Isn't your engine gasoline, not diesel?

Jan 31, 2007, 09:48 AM
    Its petrol mate
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Yes, the inline fuel filter.

Jan 31, 2007, 09:52 AM
    I finish at six will go home take plug out and go get some and fuel filter and be in touch if your on later thank you for advice
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2007, 10:01 AM
    Ok

Feb 1, 2007, 05:23 AM
    Hi you you advised me about my car yesterday I changed the spark plugs still same fault do you think it could be starter motor
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Describe the symptoms of the starter motor. The link below may help you assess your situation:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235560

Before replacing the starter motor, try this:

1. Ensure battery is fully charged.
    2. Clean battery terminals and connectors.
    3. Clean starter/solenoid terminals and connectors (remove negative. Battery cable first).

Feb 1, 2007, 07:50 AM
    hello I just been and got in my car not used it since this morning it cranks but it took time to start engine cranks then k=like before eventually fires. I have read the stater motor stuff will try that in bit see what I find thank you
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Since it sounds like your starter motor cranks well (assuming the speed is okay), I think you more than likely have an ignition system problem. It could be a problem with the coil:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=190&ptset=A

I'm not real familiar with Passats, so you may want to see if you could find someone who is. You may want to perform some basic spark tests and go from there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buy Another Car or Use Existing Car 'til It Runs No More [ 7 Answers ]

Please help me resolve a debate with my husband. I am a first time car owner. I bought a new Jeep in 8/04 for $23,600. I put $5K down on the purchase + my loan is for 60 months. I would like to trade in the liberty before it gets too old + has too many miles on it. Does it make better sense to...

Car Loan and Car Title - Minnesota Law [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My fiancé and I recently bought a car on a Saturday. We live in Minnesota. At first, the finance guy at the car dealership told us the financing will be done through Wells Fargo. After spending close to 4 hours at there and hearing it was a reputable bank that we both bank through -- we...

Looking for car [ 18 Answers ]

I'm looking for a car I'm 11 for when I'm 16 any good teenage cars you can recommend -thanks

Car accident while friend is in the car [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about what the case would be if I got into a car accident, mine or another drivers fault, with a friend in the car that is mine but in my Mother's name. I have been reading a little bit into insurance, I think I understand how it would work and come into play a little bit. What...

New car vs. Used car interst [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, Is there a set limit of interest that can be charged to a new car loan for a first time buyer with a not so good credit rating living in New Jersey. If in the event there is do you know of a link that will back it up so I can research it,

View more questions Search