Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ireland31 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2011, 06:24 AM
    Why does my car need a hair dryer to start?
    Hello TxGreaseMonkey,

I have a 2000 Accord SE 4cyl, 2.3L and my problem is that 1st Cold-Start of the day, the rest of the day the car starts fine. But, come tomorrow I have to break out the hair dryer again.

I put a hair dryer to the plug wires and distributor cap (2 or 3 minutes total) and bang the car will start 1st click.

I asked this question on another help site and he said to check the coil. Anyway, could you please tell me what is going on, why does the hair dryer trick work?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your reply.

Glen
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2011, 06:52 AM

ireland31, the problem is moisture getting inside the distributor cap (missing, flatened, or deteriorated O-ring?) and penetrating the spark plug wires (old and porus?). This link should help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post520809

If the distributor cap and spark plug wires have 60,000 miles on them, I would replace them; then, your problem should stop. Ensure the new distributor cap comes with an O-ring, which should be coated with silicone grease. On many Honda distributors the O-ring fits inside a machined groove in the distributor's housing. Simply pry it out, coat the new O-ring with silicone grease, and reinstall.
    ireland31 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2011, 08:17 AM
    Comment on TxGreaseMonkey's post
    Thanks for straighting this thing out. What about using the hair dryer just on the plug wires next time the car does not start, will that not accomplish the same thing? I'm just not crazy about spraying water on a running engine. The guy's other suggestion sounds doable. That wonder gel sounds like the gear, I'll be picking up a tube of that for sure. If I can get out of this mess for $10 bucks, I'll be happy. Thanks again for your help.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2011, 11:23 AM

You don't need to spray the water. We already know your's is a simple moisture problem--just replace the spark plug wires and either replace the O-ring or try applying silicone grease to the old one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car will not start... lights do not dim when trying to start... do not hear a click. [ 3 Answers ]

Tried to start in nuetral and all other electrical items work anybody help?

GE dryer drum not turning- felt ring destroyed- dryer just hums when you start it? [ 2 Answers ]

GE Model DHDSR46EG6WW Serial MR701623A

Car will not start no power, then dash light come on but will not start [ 1 Answers ]

When attempt to start there is no power , radio has lost power and code has to be inputted. Light in dash pane come on and there is clicking when attempting to start but will not start. Battery is good.

My car won't start, eletricals all work, but car doesn't even try to turn over. [ 1 Answers ]

My car has never had any trouble starting. I came out of work yesterday where it was very cold and I put my key in my ignition and then pushed in the clutch fully and turned the key. All the electrical stuff like radio, dash, and lights all work, but the car wouldn't even try to turn over. I heard...

View more questions Search