Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    agable87 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2011, 12:15 PM
    Could the timing belt be the problem to the toyota camry powering off while driving?
    I was driving my toyota camry yesterday and it started fine in the morning and it started fine at 12:30pm but once I got down mill ave it shut off on me and it wants to start but it cant. I have never had thhis problem with this car before and now it happens can you tell me what you think that could be the problem please
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2011, 12:37 PM

Remove the oil filler cap and see if the camshaft rotates, when someone else cranks the starter motor. If everythings appears okay, I'd focus on checking for spark. It's pretty common for Camry coils to fail. Replace the coil (best to go OEM), if there's no spark or it's weak. This link will give you additional tests to perform:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post2123675
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 17, 2011, 03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by agable87 View Post
    i was driving my toyota camry yesterday and it started fine in the morning and it started fine at 12:30pm but once i got down mill ave it shut off on me and it wants to start but it cant. i have never had thhis problem with this car before and now it happens can you tell me what you think that could be the problem please
    What year is your Camry?
    If you cannot see the camshaft when cranking because the valve cover has a baffle, you may need to remove the distributor cap to verify the cam is turning.
    If your problem turns out to be a weak or failed ignition coil, I would recommend that you replace the ignition condenser when replacing the coil. This will insure longer life of the replacement coil and help prevent electrical spikes elsewhere in your car's electrical system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a 93 Toyota Camry that stopped on me while I was driving. [ 4 Answers ]

The care stuttered before stopping and now it won't start. I replaced the spark plugs and the wires but still doesn't start. Anyone know what I can do?

Toyota camry keeps shutting off while driving [ 4 Answers ]

My 97 camry keeps shuting off while driving it has a new battery new alternator new wires new gas pump new radiator new timing belt new starter new crank sensor new fuel filter and new ecm and it still keeps shuting off I don't know what else to change I put it on the computer like 6 times and...

My toyota camry turned off while I was driving [ 3 Answers ]

My lights turn on my dash board "battery" "break" and back "tail lights" when I turned on the car sometimes it turns off and then thiers times it stays on all the time . I had an old battery and I thiught this was the problem since the car left me on the freeway once... I put a new battery in and...

'94 Camry 2.2L Timing Belt Replacement Frequency? [ 2 Answers ]

1994 Toyota Camry 2.2L engine had timing belt replaced at 80,k miles (not owned by me then). Now has 150,k miles; 50k by me. Driven like museum piece! What does your experience say about when next belt replacement? Also does this engine have valve interference or not? BTW: every time I've had older...

Timing belt toyota camry 1991 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all I have a toyota camry 1991 v6 the timing belt broke off and I can't afford to pay a mechanic. Now I'm trying to fix is myself, my problem is the firing order of the cylender and the setting of the timing gear and belt. Thanks in advance hope to hear from someone soon...

View more questions Search