Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Afronius Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 08:30 PM
    DTC code on 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
    My Power Programmer for my truck tells me that I have a DTC code of P0420. I believe it has something to with the catalyst efficiency being below threshold. Do I get a dealership to fix this crap, or can I get the tools and materials to do it myself?
    thedogghater Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 09:28 PM
    I believe that code is your o2 sensor,might want to look code up,and sometimes codes sends u to the area of something else that needs replaceing,might want to get a second look at it before replaceing parts save u some money
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2007, 07:30 AM
    The ECM in your truck receives inputs from an oxygen sensor in front of and behind each converter. The converter processes and reduces exhaust emissions. The ECM knows there will be a difference in information being reported from the front and rear oxygen sensors, as the converter processes exhaust emissions. As a converter ages, it becomes less efficient. This loss of efficiency is known by the ECM, because of information that the oxygen sensors, mounted before and after the converter, report. A P0420 converter efficiency code doesn't always mean the converter needs to be replaced. A defective oxygen sensor can also cause this code to be set by the ECM. Check the oxygen sensors, to be sure that they and other related systems are operating properly. If everything checks out, install a new converter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Towing [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what the towing capacity is for a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 with a 360 and an automatic transmision? I bought it a few months ago and it didn't come with an owners manual.

2001- dodge ram 1500- dtc p0445, p0442 [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know exactly how I can troubleshhot the problems with these codes. I've already changed the gas cap after Autozone said the PO442 code showed up. A day later the light came back on. Replaced fuel cap again with no success in keeping the check engine light off. Then Autozone said...

Dodge ram 1500 [ 7 Answers ]

I have read some previous posts and it seems there are similar problems. My truck only has luke warm heat. I flushed the cooling system, new thermostat, OEM 195 degree, flushed heater core many times, water free flows very strong through heater core. I too have a spot on my temperature knob that...

2001 dodge ram 1500 oil leak [ 1 Answers ]

My dodge ram v6 is leaking oil from the shaft tha comes out of the water pump. There is no oil in the water. Is there a seal that can be raplaced by removing only the fan or is this going to be a total nightmare??

View more questions Search