Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hlins Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2011, 04:54 PM
    89 honda civic -cel-, cranks but no start
    1989 honda civic lx died and no fire. Cranks but no start,cel comes on, main relay clicks,fuel pump comes on, cel goes off and immediately comes back on and no start
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2011, 05:35 PM

Let me get this straight, does the CEL come on and go out after 2 seconds, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II)?
    hlins Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2011, 12:27 PM
    Comment on TxGreaseMonkey's post
    Yes, and comes back on and cranks but no start.Nephew told me that in past year and a half, the cel stays on while driving; his belief was that the cel had nothing to do with the inability of the car to start.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2011, 12:30 PM

If the CEL does not go out (i.e. stays on), most Hondas will not spark and the fuel pump will not run. First, I would reset the ECM by removing the Backup Fuse, in the under hood fuse box, for 10 seconds. See if the CEL still stays on, when you turn the ignition switch to ON (Position II). If it does, then your problem is with the ACG (ALT) (S) 15 amp fuse, in the under dash fuse/relay box; ECM (perform the K-Test, below); main relay; or the ignition switch. Perform tests in that order.

The K-Test: Remove the MAP Sensor connector and turn the ignition switch to ON (Position II). Using a multimeter, check for 5 volts going between the MAP Sensor connector's reference wire (+) and ground. As you look at the connector, this is the socket on the right. Really press the black test lead into a cleaned main ECM ground on the thermostat housing. If the voltage is low, it's probably indicating ECM failure. Most failed ECMs will record a fraction of a volt. To me, the K-Test is simple, elegant, and accurate. Many Hondas parked for several years are now back on the road. "The K-Test creates massive value, by providing a low cost solution where one did not previously exist."--TxGM

Verify that the ACG (ALT) (S) fuse is not missing--we have had two instances on this site where someone had removed this crucial fuse and the Honda would not start. Then, test all under dash and under hood fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

Be very thorough, since this will save a lot of time and money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 92 Honda civic cranks over but won't Start! [ 5 Answers ]

My 92 civic has 228,000 miles, turns over but won't start. I had replaced the distributor thinking the ignitor was at falt, battery is good, timing belt and components were changed 29,000 miles ago. There is NO check engine light coming on, only when I'm trying to start the car. I can hear the fuel...

92 Honda Civic - Crank won't start, CEL stays on [ 17 Answers ]

I have a 92 honda civic LX 1.5l with a crank-no-start condition The CEL comes on and stays on. The main relay is not clicking. The K-test showed 5 volts (I am assuming my ECU is good). All of the fuses under dash and hood look good. I don't hear the fuel pump come on. I replaced the main...

91 honda civic cranks but won't start [ 6 Answers ]

I started my Civic one morning last week, put it into reverse and it just died. Put it back into park to start it again and it just will not start. It has plenty of gas but it won't get any spark. I have done the following: checked for voltage at the 2 igniter wires and for continuity at the other...

94 civic cranks but won't start until CEL goes off [ 10 Answers ]

#1 Jun 15, 2007, 11:40 PM Edeffect New Member Join Date: Jun 2007 Posts: 1 Honda Civic 94 won't start until check light goes off --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View more questions Search