Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TanyaLynn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2007, 01:05 PM
    93 Mercury Grand Marquis that Won't Come out of Park and go into gear
    I have 93 Mercury Grand Marquis, it seems to be stuck in Park, it starts and runs just fine, wheel turns and everything, it just won't come out of park and go into gear? :(
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Most automatic transmissions have a shift lock system (interlock) to prevent the shift lever from moving to Reverse or Drive from the Park position, unless the brake pedal is depressed for 5 seconds. So, first make sure you are depressing the brake pedal. If you are parked on a grade, you may need several people to push the car in the opposite direction to take the pressure off the transmission, while you press the brake pedel and try to shift into gear. This problem sometime happens, when you don't apply the emergency brake first, when parking on a grade, before shifting the transmission into Park.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

93 mercury grand marquis troubleshooting [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 93 grand marquis that is in Montana and after a recent cold morning, around 5 degrees, I wasn't able to start my car. I have never had this problem before. Last year it would start in below zero. I took the battery out of my 97 van and put it in the car and could not start the car. ...

1994 mercury marquis [ 4 Answers ]

My 1994 Mercury Marquis is stuck in park. I can't shift to any gear. Any ideas?

1992 Grand Marquis? [ 1 Answers ]

How can I tell if the solenoid or the starter is bad? I replaced the battery and the car clicks. I was told to jump the solenoid but don't have a clue how to do it. I don't want to take the starter off if I don't need to. I appreciate any help that is given!

92 Grand Marquis [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced the battery terminals on our Grand Marquis and now it won't turn over and the battery is good. The positive cable had a small red wire that went to the solenoid and down to the starter. I have cleaned everything and still nothing. The lights come on and the radio but it won't turn over....

View more questions Search