Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gammawen Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2010, 07:00 PM
    Lawn Tractor starter spins but won't engage flywheel
    I installed a new starter on my old Simplicity Lawn 4108 Tractor. The starter was spinning but not engaging the flywheel. The new one does the same thing. I saw a small box bolted onto the engine (enclosed, about 1.5" by 1.5" by about an inch deep) with 2 wires coming out of it and joining the heavier wire that goes to the starter and connecting about 2 inches away. The box and the wire were getting hot when I was trying to start the mower. Is this a solenoid. Is this what I need to replace? Thank you.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 21, 2010, 07:26 PM

Have you tried to remove the starter and test it off the unit? Did you check the flywheel to make sure it isn't smooth?

Jul 25, 2010, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Have you tried to remove the starter and test it off of the unit? Did you check the flywheel to make sure it isnt smooth?
    The flywheel is fine, teeth are good. Both the old and new start spin when I supply power to them (batt. Charger) but the gear to engage the flywheel stays in place and doesn't travel upward on the shaft. Thanks.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 02:20 PM

Exchange the starter. It should have spun out so it can mesh with the flywheel.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 04:34 PM

Hi,
    Sounds as if the battery is connected backwards. Does the described every time!
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jul 28, 2010, 07:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Yes it does do it all the time. I checked the battery but it's connected correctly. That did however lead me to notice that there's s solenoid right there in the battery compartment. If the starter is spining the solenoid is OK, right? The battery is bad but when I put the 200 amp charger on it there's plenty of current to the starter. I guess I'm down exchanging the starter as has been suggested; 2 starters that do the same thing-what a coincidence, eh. Thanks for your input.

Jul 29, 2010, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Correction, I checked again and noticed that the red cable from the battery goes to ground. I guess that can happen when you've bought an old mower. Thank you and all who took the time to respond to my questions, I appeciate it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Johne Deere L110 - Starter spins but does not engage [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a John Deere L110 (almost 3 yrs). After sitting idle most of the winter, I went to start it up and got nothing. Re-charged the battery and now I get the starter motor spinning very fast ("whirring" sound), but it does not seem to engage the flywheel. I see from some other posts on...

John Deere Lawn Tractor Starter Won't Engage [ 2 Answers ]

Always get a "click" when I try to start JD lawn tractor, but the starter won't actually engage now to turn the motor over. The lawn tractor is an older model 185 - 14 hp Kawasaki engine. Any suggestions? Thank you for your assistance. Jack

John Deere 160 Lawn tractor won't engage starter [ 4 Answers ]

I have a JD160 lawn tractor when I turn the key nothing happens. It has a Kawasaki FB460V engine. I tried to follow the wires. If I jumper the relay before the starter with the key in the on position the engine will start. Not sure what the problem is I am thinking it may be the key switch?? Can...

Troy Bilt lawn tractor-starter won't engage [ 1 Answers ]

I mowed the yard w/out problem 2 days ago. Today I went to start the Lawn tractor and the motor won't turn over. I have never had problems with it before. Do you have any ideas on what I should check? Troy Bilt Super Broncho 42" deck Kohler 19hp/597cc

Craftsman tractor starter repair - flywheel removal [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Sears Craftsman lawn tractor with a 19.5 HP Briggs & Stratton engine. The plastic toothed wheel on the starter that engages the flywheel is completely stripped. I have a repair kit but am having trouble removing the starter. Can I safely remove the flywheel instead. I can see that if I...

View more questions Search