Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xxsupertunerxx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2006, 11:30 AM
    1998 Civic won't start
    My car just recenyly died. I drove it to work one day and it worked fine, only problem was that it took a few turns of the key to get it started. The next thing I know it won't start at all. I searched around and seen that a main relay may cause this so I bought a new one and it didn't help. THe problem is that the fuel pump won't come on. I can hear the prime but it doesn't get anything to the rail. I have taken the nut to the fuel rail off and no fuel comes out when cranking; But sometimes fuel will come out. Im really at a loss here.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2006, 11:54 AM
    Sounds like you may need a new fuel filter. When you turn the ignition switch to ON, you do hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds, right?
    xxsupertunerxx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2006, 12:32 PM
    Yes, we do hear it prime. So you think it's a fuel filter?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2006, 12:40 PM
    Clogged fuel filters can cause a vehicle to die in traffic. It happened to my father 6 months ago in his Toyota pickup. Civic fuel filters should be changed every 60,000 miles or 48 months, whichever comes first.

Disconnect negative battery cable, remove gas cap (to depressurize the system), and remove and replace the filter. If you have flare wrenches, use them to undue the brass connectors. It's possible to burn a fuel pump up, if you don't change the filter regularly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 honda civic won't start PLEASE HELP [ 22 Answers ]

I live in LA and I have never had a problem. It has been raining non stop down pour for 17 days. Last night I went out and my car wouldn't start. It turns over but no fire. Battery seems fine. AAA came and got it started by adding fuel shaking it, I don't know what... He told me to keep it running,...

94 Civic won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, this one has really aggrivated me so I am hoping that someone can help me figure out the problem and fix it. I have a 94 civic, manual (5 speed), that was broken into recently. When I got it back the ignition assembly was punched and useless. I purchased a new one and put it in place of...

Civic won't start... please help [ 2 Answers ]

It kind of happened over the course of the day.. like I realized it was taking more to get it to start and by the end of the day my civic wouldent start anymore... so first I thought it must be the fuel pump or the ditributor... so I bought a whole new distributor assembly and cap and new spark...

My civic ex 1998 doesn't start :( [ 3 Answers ]

Guys, I have a problem, my civic has always been reliable, never gave me a problem, but the one I have starte like this: a few days ago I strated the car as usual to go to work, and the car had ignition but was a slow kind of ignition, but it started, the next day it did it the same way but slower...

95 civic won't start [ 3 Answers ]

I just recently rebuilt the engine in my 95 civic... about a week later the radiator blew and I replaced that... now about 2 weeks later my car suddenly won't start... one day I leave the gym after working out and it won't start... I first thought the gas gauge was wrong so I just put in some gas...

View more questions Search