Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    homeinspector Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Nov 17, 2006, 04:45 PM
    Intermittent power
    I have a client who has a triplex service drop rubbing on some tree branches. They have removed some brick facing on the exterior of the house exposing conductors running from the main service panel in the basement on the outside of the structure and into a slab addition at the rear of the house. They are having a problem with the additions' service (ie. Lights dimming or going out). They are also experiencing problems with the range, dryer and dishwasher that get power from a subpanel located on the stairwell. The subpanel is old construction and the wiring to it runs through the original house construction. My thought is that the service drop is causing the problem when wind and rain occur. The problem occurred once before but an electrician couldn't find a problem. I think power is being lost intermittently on one leg of the service. The 240V appliances (range and dryer) won't operate on 120V (old construction and unaffected by outside weather). The intermittent leg probably supplies the addition and runs on the outside (exposed). The local power company installed an insulating shield on one side of the service drop a couple of years ago and the problem subsided for a time. I am scheduled to visit soon and am open to opinions regarding this issue.

Thanks,
    Barry
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2006, 05:31 PM
    Sounds like this service drop is taking a beating. This flickering problem can be caused by a loose or corrioded connection, anywhere from the transformer, overhead connections, meter, main breaker, and a panel.

If the drop was stretched at all, or pinched, there can even be, thou not too common, a break in the actual wire, anywheres.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car won't start, no click and no power to radio, power window or locks [ 6 Answers ]

After installing a new starter on a 1999 2WD Explorer it will not start. There is no click when trying to start it, its just dead, and the radio, power locks/windows, a/c, and dash light don't work but the interior lights work and so do the headlights. We've had the starter checked to make sure...

Intermittent freeze up revisited... [ 6 Answers ]

To all: To summarize: the intake, the outflow, freon, etc. have been determined to be fine. I guess what I'm really trying to evaluate is the blower motor itself. It is a multi-speed type, although only 2 speeds are used (med & high). Has anyone experience a motor that intermittently doesn't...

Intermittent freezing up [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Hope you can help. Recently I've had a problem with intermittent freeze up of the evap coil of my downstairs central AC. Multiple technicians have been here with no resolution of the problem. I did have to have the evap coil replaced earlier this week due to a leak in the drain pan - and it...

Intermittent blower operation [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Janitrol model A30-08 furnace. On the AC side, when the thermostat calls for cooling, sometimes the blower kicks on, sometimes not. The evaporator coils always cool down (to the point of icing if I don't intervene), so that part is working fine. When the blower doesn't come on,...

Intermittent wall A/C problem [ 1 Answers ]

We have a stand-alone, wall-mounted A/C unit that exhausts to the outside and is hard-wired to a wall switch to turn the unit off and on. The unit is about 10-12 feet above the floor and the switch is about 6 feet above. Lately I have noticed that the room has gotten pretty warm, indicating that...

View more questions Search