Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    awfr102 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2006, 11:49 AM
    93 mercury grand marquis troubleshooting
    I have a 93 grand marquis that is in Montana and after a recent cold morning, around 5 degrees, I wasn't able to start my car. I have never had this problem before. Last year it would start in below zero. I took the battery out of my 97 van and put it in the car and could not start the car. Like wise I took the battery from the car and could not start the van. The car doesn't turn over at all. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2006, 01:24 PM
    Two bad batteries? You never told us if the van would start with its original battery. I would remove each battery; clean all terminals; fill with distilled water, if necessary; and place on a charger. See how the charging progresses, to determine if the batteries are shot. The first cold days of the year tell a lot about the starting power (CCA) of a car's battery. Always make sure your battery is fine, before assuming a starter motor is bad.
    awfr102 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2006, 02:25 PM
    Sorry. The van works fine no problems with starting. I had the grand marquis battery on the charger overnite at 2 amp. The battery was tested at 12.5V. Terminals are clean. The battery is a maintence free battery.
    I drove the vehicle 2 days before the cold spell with no problems. The car never hesitated in starting before. Now there is nothing. The car lights come on the radio plays but the car won't turn over. I was hoping battery not starter.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2006, 03:22 PM
    You are not alone. There have been many starter and solenoid questions on this site, lately.

Next time you change your oil and filter, switch to a full-synthetic 5W-30 engine oil, such as Mobil 1. It's much easier on your battery and starter; besides, it offers improved performance, protection, and gas mileage. Change every 6 months or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first.
    natdiving Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2012, 02:39 PM
    The most likely problem is - the red wire going to the Solenoid.

Symptom
    The car was startig fine, but suddenly stop and won't turn over.

The Solenoid is attacted the starter at the rear of the motor behind the oil pan - on the passenger side of the car (93 grand marquis). There are 2 nutted bolts and a small red wire.

The wire may be off, oil clogged or corroded. Clean the wire and put it back on.
    Use plyers to crimp it a bit (not too hard) so that it is snug on the small metal lead going to the Solenoid. Be careful not to break off the metal lead.

If the problem is oil - a small amount of gasoline is a good cleaner.
    If it is corroded - baking soda in a cup of water should chase the corrosion away.

It this doesn't solve the problem take a wire from the + battery terminal down to the solenoid and start the car. If it starts - then check the fuses - if OK - replace that wire goind to the solenoid.

Wayne Crowley - Scarborough, ONT.
    [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1994 mercury marquis [ 4 Answers ]

My 1994 Mercury Marquis is stuck in park. I can't shift to any gear. Any ideas?

1992 Grand Marquis? [ 1 Answers ]

How can I tell if the solenoid or the starter is bad? I replaced the battery and the car clicks. I was told to jump the solenoid but don't have a clue how to do it. I don't want to take the starter off if I don't need to. I appreciate any help that is given!

92 Grand Marquis [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced the battery terminals on our Grand Marquis and now it won't turn over and the battery is good. The positive cable had a small red wire that went to the solenoid and down to the starter. I have cleaned everything and still nothing. The lights come on and the radio but it won't turn over....

1993 grand marquis door panels [ 1 Answers ]

Anybody know how to take the door panels off a 93 grand marquis, thanks in advance.

View more questions Search