Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hitz Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2006, 09:19 AM
    90 civic
    I have just bought a 1990 honda civic. It hasn't been used for a year. There are a few problems but nothing major yet. Can anyone give me some advice on what should be changed or checked to prevent problems from occurring? Thanks for any help
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Nov 3, 2006, 12:13 PM
    A 1990 that hasn't been used for a year? Sorry, not enough memory in my computer to list all the potential problems!

Seriously, though. Buy yourself a Haynes manual at any auto store (Walmart may have them) and look under the scheduled maintenance list. I'd first do the afordable maintenance at 3 month intervals, then go to the 6 month intervals, etc.

The manual goes through disassmbly and reassembly of your car piece by piece. It has recommended fluids, troubleshooting, engine repairs, drive train repairs, electrical repairs... everything for about $15.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2006, 02:21 PM
    1. Engine oil and filter
    2. Transaxle fluid
    3. Antifreeze (50/50 mixture of antifreeze and distilled water)
    4. Flush brake system and check pad/shoe thickness
    5. Air filter
    6. Fuel filter
    7. NGK spark plugs, rotor, and distributor cap
    hitz Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2006, 08:01 AM
    Thanks. I've been trying to find a good manual to guide me, hopefully the haynes manual is better then the online maual I got.
    2vital Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hitz
    i have just bought a 1990 honda civic. it hasn't been used for a year. there are a few problems but nothing major yet. can anyone give me some advice on what should be changed or checked to prevent problems from occurring? thanks for any help
    I own a 90 civic and they are excellent in reliability. Best car I have ever owned. The one thing that is imperative is a timing belt every 75,000 miles. If you change the oil every 3000 you shouldn't have much to worry about. The cv joints go in these and it is easier to change the axels, there small and it is pretty simple. Theses eat a little oil so don't be alarmed they are high revving engines. When you change your oil put a quart of lucus engine restore in there. The main relay can cause you start problems when it gets real hot. Give it a few and try again. The distributors can have problems in this car but I have never had a problem. Not the cap and rotor but the internal parts of the distributor.if your timing belt breaks in this car it will do major damage to the engine components so make sure you do the scheduled 75,000. These engines are said to be the best honda ever made and run to 300,000 and more when serviced properly. Good luck.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda Civic Dx [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I was just wondering what the size of speakers are in the front are rear on a honda civic dx 1991

Help my 95 civic please! [ 1 Answers ]

My civic is not running happy. The RPM fluctuates on my car all day and some time even turns off! I have this really weird clicking noise when I start it and it last for about 15mins from start to running time, then it goes away, until the next time I shut it down and start it again. It doesn't...

91 civic [ 2 Answers ]

I just put a 89 crx motor in my car... didnt have the wiring harness or ecu so got one that would fit... car tries to fire up but won't start.. timing is new and so are the plugs... what could it be?

View more questions Search