Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cbskywarn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 10:45 AM
    1998 Ford Explorer XLT A/C Working But Not Working
    I have a 1998 Ford Explorer XLT, 5.0L V8 RWD. When the truck is parked and the engine is cool, I reach over and turn on "Max A/C". Cold air comes out and all is well. During the next few minutes, the A/C starts to get warmer and warmer then hot. The same happens when I put the vehicle into gear and press the accelerator... it gets hot and does not go back to cold. The system is charged correctly, and it sounds like the blend door is moving when I switch between Hot & Cold. At the same time, when I try to use normal A/C, it is hot all the time. My heat works fine, but it's almost as if I can't get the Hot/Cool switch to work, even though there's a click behind the glove box where the blend door is when I switch it. Any ideas as to what's going on here? I've looked high and low on the internet and can't find anything related to my problem.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2009, 11:33 AM
    Perform the tests in the link below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1864159

While the manifold gauge set is attached, check the cut-in (50 psi) and cut-out (22 psi) pressures for the Clutch Cycling Switch. If you perform these tests, you will solve the problem.

System Specifications:

Low Side Gauge Pressure: 22 to 50 psi
    High Side Gauge Pressure: 160 to 250 psi

System Refrigerant Capacity: 1.88 lbs.

System Refrigerant Oil Capacity: 9 ounces
    itsjb5 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2009, 09:23 PM

The clicking noise is the blend door motor gears. Do you have dual ac control in front? Passanger and driver? If so there are two blend door motors that control each side... my gues is no... so if the actuator is clicking... replace it... the gears inside are stripped
    cbskywarn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2010, 10:17 AM
    Thanks to everyone for your help. It ended up being a broken tab at the top of the blend door. I was able to cut a door into the blend box behind the glove box and manually "move" the blend door itself to the position/temperature that I wanted. I then closed the make-shift door and sealed it with duct tape. It was a pain to switch back and forth but I rarely had to do so. I no longer have the truck though as I traded it for a Pontiac Firebird.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1998 Ford Fiesta Heater not working. [ 1 Answers ]

Heater not working, which fuse should I check, and what power should it be? Please.

Internet Explorer not working [ 2 Answers ]

When I try to go to a particular website that I've visited before I get a message "The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context." A few weeks ago I was not having any problem. What's going on?

1998 Cavalier Z24 cylinder 3 & 4 not working [ 27 Answers ]

I have a 1998 Z24 with the 2.4L Twin Cam engine and almost 200K miles on it. It runs on 2 cylinders (1 & 2) and the other 2 (3 & 4) are not working. The exhaust header is cold to the touch on those two. I recently changed the plugs and boots. When this problem first happened I changed the ignition...

1998 Ford Explorer [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the location and how do I need to go about replacing the starter on a 1998 Ford Explorer?

Internet explorer not working [ 1 Answers ]

My Internet explorer not work What should I do to make it working again? Thanks:(

View more questions Search