Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acerezo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 07:37 AM
    1999 ford winstar transmission not engaging
    I'm new to this site and this my first post...

My 1999 windstar does not do anything when shift to any gear. There is no change in engine
    Rpm when I shift it to R or D is my transmission gone?

And another question...

What is the function of transmission range sensor?

Thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2009, 08:35 AM

The Transmission Range (TR) Sensor senses the position of the gear selector. Depending on the gear selector position, the sensor sends differing signals to the PCM, which uses them for engine and transmission control operations. TR Sensor inputs affect operation of the EGR system, idle speed control, and transaxle torque converter lockup. It also takes the place of the neutral safety switch used on older ATXs.
    acerezo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    The Transmission Range (TR) Sensor senses the position of the gear selector. Depending on the gear selector position, the sensor sends differing signals to the PCM, which uses them for engine and transmission control operations. TR Sensor inputs affect operation of the EGR system, idle speed control, and transaxle torque converter lockup. It also takes the place of the neutral safety switch used on older ATXs.
    Thanks for the quick response...

If my TR is not functioning properly would it affect the shifting of gears? It does start at park

And neutral but R and D don't do anything... is my tranny dead?

Thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2009, 12:22 PM

A faulty TR Sensor would definitely affect shifting. I can't tell you whether your transmission is dead. If you haven't been changing the transmission fluid and filter every 30,000 miles with Mercon V, it may need to be rebuilt.
    jennifer31 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2009, 09:28 AM

I heard that it could be a broken pump shaft. Wouldn't a TR sensor effect it when shifting? If it starts fine, oil smells and looks good, with no metal fragments, a rebuild would be a bit of a overkill wouldn't it? I honestly don't know for sure but if anyone can challenge me on this I welcome it, and appreciate it!

Thanks

Jen
    itsjb5 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2009, 09:27 PM

Main pump shaft does strip out... also servo snap ring breaks and will not move.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1999 honda passport transmission [ 1 Answers ]

Is there some kind of valve on a 1999 honda passport that would cause it to leak fluid and not shift past second gear?

1999 Ford Taurus transmission quit [ 7 Answers ]

I haven't had it checked out yet, but I'm guessing the transmission is gone.:mad: My teenage daughter was driving it when the transmission went. My brother drives for a car recovery company, so he towed it home for me. The transmission fluid looks burned up. So, I'm guessing it's smoked. Any...

Automatic Transmission Doesn't Lock Into Place On 1999 Toyota Corolla [ 1 Answers ]

When I pull back the automatic transmission lever from park to reverse or drive, for example, it doesn't lock into place, so there's sometimes some confusion whether the car is in reverse or in drive. Sometimes it's in between. Is this a symptom of transmission problems? Should I be concerned? Any...

1999 Taurus Transmission Problem [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for some help dealing with a 1999 Taurus LX Flex Fuel. In slow/bumper to bumper traffic, or at any slow cruise, such as looking for a parking spot, the transmission jerks between gears, as if it is looking for the gear it needs to be in. Seems to be shifting between 1st and 2nd gear....

View more questions Search