Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gino60 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2009, 09:05 PM
    91 honda civic main relay?
    I had a problem with my 91 honda civic dx not starting after driven for awhile. It would crank over but the engine wouldn't start. I soldered the main relay joints and the problem went away.. but when I drive for awhile I hear a loud vibrating noise coming from under the dash by the main relay area but the car still drives fine at 60 mph.. After about 30 seconds the noise goes away but occasionally will come back but doesn't seem to affect the car.. would like to fix this problem eventually but help would be nice? Ps I also called honda and found out my igniter has already been replaced don't know if that will help
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2009, 06:38 AM

Sounds like the ECM may be failing. Be sure to clean the main ECM ground on the thermostat housing. The problem may also be with your resoldered main relay--consider replacing it with a new one.

Jul 9, 2009, 09:36 PM

I don't know if my relay also has something to do with this but sometimes when I stop at a red light it will start to rough idle and then when I try to take off it feels like the car hesitates to move no matter how hard I'm pressing the gas peddle.. feels like I'm shifting wrong but I'm not because I'm completely in gear and just pressing the gas.. whenever I shift out of the gear it goes away like it never happened.. usually its 1st and 2nd gear but I've felt it in 3rd also
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2009, 06:21 AM

Replace the spark plugs (NGK only), if they have not been changed in the last 24,000 miles or 24 months.

Jul 12, 2009, 07:34 PM

Yeah I did that as well with the rotor switch and distributor and wires I have a feeling it has something to do with the solder job.. it's a bummer ill have to buy a new main cause it sucked putting it in

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

91 Honda Civic: Main relay? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi: I am having problems with my '91 Honda civic DX when I drive for a while, then I stop the engine for 5-10 minutes to do some shopping or whatever... and then try to start again. It doesn't start at all. But if I wait another 5 or 10 minutes and I try again, usually starts. I don't have any...

1990 Honda Civic DX Main Relay [ 3 Answers ]

So much of what I have read here is true. I had the usual symptoms of only hard restart when "Hot". This on only hot spring/summer days and shut off at operating temperature and running short errands. Once back in the car it would just crank, and not restart after say 10-15 minutes. I found the...

Main Relay on a 91 Honda Civic [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find the location of the Main Relay on my 91 Honda Civic. Can anyone help

92 Honda Civic main relay BAD? [ 16 Answers ]

I read some very helpful tips on this problem but I have a question about this. It appears that I have the same problem. All the tips I read said that when you turn the key to the 2nd position and you should hear or feal 3 clicks if the main relay is working. Maybe I am just plain stupid but I only...

89 Honda Civic Main Relay [ 2 Answers ]

I have read the articles you have on the main relay, but have been unable to find the main relay in my 89 Civic hatchback. I found a relay close to the location where you said it should be but after replacing that relay I still do not have power to the fuel pump and the ecu still reads a code 16....

View more questions Search