Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    panman Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2006, 11:46 AM
    1991 Honda Civic
    I have a problem with my 91 Honda Civic. The ECU codes are 1, 6, 7, and 17. I can start the car fine. After running about 3-4 minutes just idling it begins to seem to choke for fuel. Giving it more gas will help, but it still wants to sputter. If I drive it after starting it it will run fine for the first 1/2 mile then it starts the same sputtering and wanting to die. On the interstate it will do the same but eventually just dies. I pull off and let it set for a few minutes and it starts fine and runs fine. I take off and in about 1/2 mile it starts the same thing again. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look as to the problem.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2006, 12:32 PM
    When you turn the ignition to ON, does the Check Engine Light (CEL) come on and then go off after 2 seconds? Is there a "click" sound from the main relay, when the CEL goes out? During this 2 second period, do you hear the fuel pump in the gas tank run?
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2006, 02:03 PM
    Main relay and computer.

Oct 16, 2006, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    Main relay and computer.

How costly is this repair?
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2006, 10:29 AM
    From Honda, main relays and ECMs cost $60 and $850, respectively. From RockAuto.com, main relays and ECMs cost $45 and $260 (Cardone remanufactured), respectively.

All the codes your Civic is throwing are sensor-related: Code 1--Heated Oxygen Sensor, Code 6--Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor, Code 7--Throttle Position Sensor, and Code 17--Vehicle Speed Sensor. It's not logical to assume all of these sensors are bad, but it is logical to suspect that the ECM (computer) could be failing.

You should have me walk you through a few basic electrical diagnostic steps first, if you are interested. I have solved many of the most challenging electrical problems for Honda owners. It's your call.
    tdeboy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2006, 10:38 AM
    I have a 91 Honda. First thing check your spark plugs, mine were fowled out.
    Once replaced mine is running GREAT!

If not, check the fuel filter.. Process of elimination.. :D

Oct 16, 2006, 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    From Honda, main relays and ECMs cost $60 and $850, respectively. From RockAuto.com, main relays and ECMs cost $45 and $260 (Cardone remanufactured), respectively.

All the codes your Civic is throwing are sensor-related: Code 1--Heated Oxygen Sensor, Code 6--Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor, Code 7--Throttle Position Sensor, and Code 17--Vehicle Speed Sensor. It's not logical to assume all of these sensors are bad, but it is logical to suspect that the ECM (computer) could be failing.

You should have me walk you through a few basic electrical diagnostic steps first, if you are interested. I have solved many of the most challenging electrical problems for Honda owners. It's your call.

I am game... how do we start?
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2006, 12:35 PM
    When the ignition is turned to ON (not to START), does the Check Engine Light (CEL) come on for 2 seconds and then go off? During this 2 second period, do you hear the fuel pump in the gas tank run? When the CEL goes out, do you hear (and possibly feel, when you touch it) the main relay "click"
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2006, 02:29 PM
    Hello.

Oct 20, 2006, 09:32 AM
    Greasemonkey... I am ready to start the electrical check process. Panman
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2006, 09:46 AM
    I will help you, with the provision that you respond prompty. I don't like to drag these things out. OK?
    dkilgore6158 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2012, 10:58 AM
    Have you considered the Idle Air Temp valve(IAT valve). This valve is located on the intake manifold and has a 1/4inch water line going to it along with electrical wires. It is located usually at the top of the intake manifold closest to the firewall. This device works like a choke for fuel injection by way of water temp. This just may explain why you car works shortly after starting and then has issues after a mile or 2.
    permaspin Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2012, 07:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    When you turn the ignition to ON, does the Check Engine Light (CEL) come on and then go off after 2 seconds? Is there a "click" sound from the main relay, when the CEL goes out? During this 2 second period, do you hear the fuel pump in the gas tank run?
    GreaseMonkey.. Can you help me out? I'm having a very similar problem to this, I will respond promptly and not lolly gag and waste your time.. I'm limited to a blackberry.. Can you email me and help me out.. I can respond much faster through email. [email protected]

Thanks in advance
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2012, 07:23 AM
    permaspin, start your own thread and I'll help you. Tell me exactly what you are experiencing.

Jun 20, 2012, 07:42 AM
    permaspin, start your own thread and I'll help you. Tell me exactly what you are experiencing.
    Ok I posted my problem

Jun 20, 2012, 07:52 AM
    Ok I posted my problem

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback [ 6 Answers ]

I have read the previous post about late 80-91 hondas. My car idles great and always starts on the first try. My problem is that it sputters or looses power once in a while when I am driving. It has never stalled while driving.I have taken it to the shop and they have checked everything they think...

1991 Honda Civic [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 1991 Honda Civic,4 Cylinder, Standard 5 Speed Transmission, 4-Door, not an SI, with 95,000 miles on it. I just recently purchased it. It will crank but will not start. I have a friend who is a mechanic, and he has been trying to get it running for me (for free) but I am getting...

1991 Honda civic won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Not getting spark so I checked the distributor. The blk/yel and wht/blu for battery voltage. Both had voltage. Checked the Blu and what body ground for continunity. Neither had continuity. Any idea why neither blu going to the ECU or what going to the TAc wouldn't have continunity>

Leveling 1991 Honda Civic DX [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 1991 Honda Civic DX and the drivers side front is 1 1/2 inches than the other side. How can you level the car? I placed in on a level surface, filled the gas tank, bounced each cornor of the car. When I settles, the dirver side front is lower. I have read in some service references you...

View more questions Search