Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lrrs2003 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2006, 12:06 PM
    Civic 2000,fuel and spark, no start
    I have a 2000 Civic 1.6 ,single cam ,that quit running.Engine turns over,good battery,fuel pump runs,injectors get fuel and signal to open and close.Also, it has spark and the engine timing is fine, but it does not start.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 02:48 PM
    Check all under-dash and under-hood fuses. Check for any DTCs.

Turn the ignition to ON. Does the Check Engine Light come on and then go off after 2 seconds? During this time, do you hear the fuel pump run?

Also, turn ignition ON and check for 5 volts going between the MAP sensor connector's reference wire (+) and ground. Check out the electrical side of the MAP sensor, which controls timing and air/fuel mixture on Civics. When was the fuel filter last changed?

If everything above checks out OK, then I would focus on main relay or ICM. 90% of won't start situations are electrical-related and new main relays and ICMs solve many of these cases.
    lrrs2003 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2006, 09:04 AM
    Hello and thanks for the answer.Everything chechs out Ok.I disconnected the spark plugs,reconnected them to the sparkplug wires and set them on top of the valve cover with the electrodes right on top of the sparkplug holes.Every time I turn the engine,there are flames shooting out! I know,a little unorthodox,but I had to find out for sure that I have fuel and spark.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2006, 10:40 AM
    When you figure out what's wrong, please post your finding.
    supra661 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2006, 08:34 AM
    Sounds like you have either a clogged intake or exhaust... or possibly a bad sensor, but the lack of running indicates more likely a plugged intake or exhaust. Does it try to run at all before dying? If so, check if someone maybe shoved something in your muffler pipe? The muffler bolts on right above the passenger side rear axle. 2 bolts... remove them, pull the muffler off, and see if it will now start. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1989 Honda civic won't start! ( No SPark) [ 13 Answers ]

Hi everybody, My name is Leeboy! I am building or finished building a 1989 Honda civic entry level stock car for my girlfriend. I took all interior parts out( I left all the original wiring and harness for at this level we have to have lights and keep everything in original order) and installed a...

Kia Sephia 2000 fuel pump does not start when ignition is on [ 1 Answers ]

The car takes 3-4 long-tries to start. It works fine after started. I have found that the fuel pump does not have the usual 2-second working sound when the key turns to "on" position. I checked the pump input wires and did not detect a voltage so I guess the pump does not start because no power is...

Honda civic - no spark [ 1 Answers ]

My 1992 civic is cranking but not starting, and upon inspection it isn't getting any spark. Any ideas where to look?

Civic 2000 no dash lights and won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a similar problem in that I get no ignition light in the dash or any other lights(Air-bag, ABS and the key symbol etc) that used to come on when the key is turned to ignition, but other ignition dependent things like radio central locking work. Checked all the fuses both under the hood and...

2000 Honda Civic won't start [ 6 Answers ]

Last Sat morning, cranked the starte motor till it finally started, It was rainy and damp. All day started and ran fine. Sunday cranked it over quiite quickly. Monday morning, same thing started instantly. Monday night, car sitting for a while. Raining, when I got in the car, had to crank over the...

View more questions Search