Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Momtoafew Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2006, 08:26 PM
    Minor basement flooding
    Tonight we had a very bad rainstorm, and my basement window which is one of those below ground ones, allowed for some water to seep into my home. It basically hugged the walls and then puddled onto my carpeted basement room. I noticed it pretty quickly so was able to move furniture and electrical things away from the area, as well as immediately got towels down on the carpet to absorb the water that hadn't been soaked through. Now hours later, and many towels later, I still have dampness coming through while pressing the towels to the floor. I put up a fan to dry things up too. Should I be concerned that mold will grow with such a minor flood? Is there anything else I can try to get the dampness gone in the next day? Thanks.:eek:
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2006, 08:57 PM
    If you have all of the water up things should dry pretty fast. If you are concerned about mold make a mixture of bleach water and spray all of the area that was wet. Make it weak enough that it will not take any color out of your carper. You might do this weekly for a few weeks. If you don't like this answer go To Ask.com and ask there about your problem.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 20, 2006, 05:03 AM
    Hi Mom,

I would use the bleach on a cement basement floor but would be very cautious about spraying bleach on a carpet. Let me direct you to a web site by the U.S. Environment Protection Agency titled "A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture and your House. Click on; http://www.epa.gov/mold/preventionandcontrol.html
    Meantime, kick up the AC and direct some fans to dry out the moisture. If this happens often consider adding a french drain outside to carry away the excess rain water. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Force minor out of house [ 32 Answers ]

What can I do to get my 14 year old daughter out of my house if she refuses to listen to me and I feel as though I will cause her bodily harm

Help My Home is Flooding [ 5 Answers ]

Every time it rains a lot we have water that seaps in to our sunken den under our hearth and under our back door. At times this can be a lot of water. We have put french drains in but have NOT been able to stop this water. I don't even know who to speak with. Can anybody give me a idea of at...

Theft by a minor, HELP [ 5 Answers ]

Im 17 and about a year ago I was working at Sheetz, the convience store. I was having money problems at the time and car problems. Another employee asked me if I wanted to make some extra money. I was excited and said yes. A couple days later he explained it to me how it worked. Basically when a...

91 civic with stalling/flooding [ 17 Answers ]

(this was posted on a previous 91 civic problem thread... these problems sound different, so I posed a new question.. sorry about the double post) Hi all, Im a new owner of a 91 civic w/ 146k miles... the first two weeks I drove it, it worked fine. Then the problems... It would start to...

Basement Flooding [ 3 Answers ]

Just moved into a 100 year old home in New England, I had an alarm installed with a "flood" option... The alarm went off one early morning and I went downstairs to check the problem and found the basement was covered in two inches of water thanks to Spring thaw and a good deal of rain. It all...

View more questions Search