Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dani1982 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2006, 08:59 PM
    Old 1969 unit building - toilet
    I have an old toilet - which is attached with a big thick cement pipe from the side of the toilet bowl. We want to change to a new water efficient toilet instead.

What is involved in changing this strange toilet? Are we up for a lot of money to do this? Is there any way to change the toilet ourselves? Is there a website with any information about this type of toilet system?

And do we need to buy a special type of toilet to put in this toliet's place?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 29, 2006, 06:08 AM
    Hi Dani,

First let's be sure about what you have. It sounds like a "blow-out wall mounted " type of toilet, (see image) is this what you have? If not then a picture would be helpful. Regards, Tom

Jul 30, 2006, 04:32 PM
    Hi,

There is a photo next to my name of my toilet - the photo is on my computer, and I didn't know how to upload it on here - because it asks for the URL address of my photo. I hope you can see it OK?:o :o

Jul 30, 2006, 04:41 PM
    OK I have uploaded the photo -thanks.

That pipe is attached to the bowl of the toilet - just toward the back. If that helps?

I can't find another example of this kind of toilet on the web?

On same wall the pipe comes out of is my shower - if that helps any?
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Jul 31, 2006, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani1982
    ok i have uploaded the photo -thanks.

That pipe is attached to the bowl of the toliet - just toward the back. If that helps??

I can't find another example of this kind of toliet on the web??

On same wall the pipe comes out of is my shower - if that helps any??
    Please look on the toilet bowl and give me a manufactures name. Would it be possible totake a picture of the pipe coming out of the bowl? I'm fascinated! This is a new type to me. Do you live in the states? Regards, tom

Jul 31, 2006, 06:18 PM
    Ok I'll get a picture tonight - I tried to see who the manufacture was - but the toilet sticker is cracked and faded beyond recognition. But molded into the plastic on the cistein it says "Clark". I am unfortunately in Australia - and most plumbers here I talk to say they have never seen it before either and would have to come and have a look, but I want to get the toilet and have the plumber come out only once to save on "call-out" fees. Thanks
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 1, 2006, 04:57 AM
    Perhaps your best bet would be to keep the present set up and replace or repair faulty parts. The china tank and bowl do not "wear out" and everything else can be replaced. I can see a lot of work tearing up floors and walls to install a regular toilet. I would get three estimates before I even thought of starting the work. Good luck, Tom
    allozier Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Aug 1, 2006, 04:44 PM
    I have been a plumber for 35 yrs and I have never seen anything like that. You might try calling ripleys believe it or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet back up [ 3 Answers ]

Sometimes our toilet backs up for no real apparent reason. Not much toilet paper, etc. We flush and it will overflow. Is there a product I can flush in my toilet to eat away at residue to help the pipes? My house was built in 1957 and I don't think the plumbing has had much upgrading.

Toilet ventilation [ 1 Answers ]

What is the proper way to vent a toilet. I have a two story house and the upstairs toilet was fine for ten years without a vent, but eventually it didn't flush properly. A vent pipe was installed, hoping to aid in flushing, but the problem was as simple as cleaning the little hole in the bottom...

Toilet [ 1 Answers ]

The toilet will not flush like it is supposed to, it will flush out solid but not paper. What makes the toilet flush?

No pressure for 3 unit building [ 1 Answers ]

I am in a 3 unit condominium building. We are not getting any pressure from the city. We have a pump which, to the best of my knowledge, has never been used. Is it possible, somehow, that we let out all the pressue that is generally in the pipes and need to run the pump? If we run the pump what PSI...

Toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I think one of my children flushed something down the toilet. The only things I think it can be is either a bar of soap or a wash cloth. Now you have to plunge it every time you flush. Any suggestions on what I could do myself before I call a plumber?

View more questions Search