Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phaedrus69 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2008, 06:20 PM
    2001 buick century low tire pressure light
    What causes this light to come on? Ever since I had new tires put on, I've gotten this light. The pressures are good, so I haven't worried about it for a while, but now I've heard that there are wheel speed sensors in the hubs /axles that are also important for the ABS. My question is where exactly these sensors are, do they transmit to the ABS and low tire pressures, and what type of reading should I get if I ohm them out with a meter? Oh, and how much are these baby's?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2008, 09:05 PM

Some Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) are very sensitive. Specialized torque drivers are even supposed to be used to tighten valve stems and sensors properly. Discrepancies can trip the light to come on.

---------------------

As part of the Antilock Brake System, each wheel has its own notched iron ring and sensor. If you look behind each disc brake (or rear brake drum), you will see them. Wheel rotation speeds are sent to the computer for processing. The computer's algorithm evaluates rotation speeds and adjusts each wheel's brake pressure, if necessary, during braking.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 7, 2008, 09:18 PM

First, the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPM) is completely separate from the Anitlock Brake System (ABS).
    Now, the problem you're having could be either the tire pressure monitors need to be "relearned" to the vehicle's Body Control Module (BCM),
    -or-
    One or more of the actual tire pressure monitors that mount into the wheel has gotten damaged during the tire change.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 buick century low tire pressure light is on [ 17 Answers ]

Can anyone provide a general explanation of how the low tire pressure light works? Where is the sensor or sensors located and what exactly triggers them? Thank you

Regarding 99 Buick Century air conditioner that leaks [ 1 Answers ]

I tried the suggestions for fixing the air conditioner leaking by using a wire to unplug the hose. I did this three times, but the a/c still leaks on the inside passenger side when it is used. Any other suggestions?

Tire pressure light [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have having a problem with the tire pressure light for my 2006 Nissan Quest. I lost the cap for a while, and the light kept blinking that that tire was unreadable. I got another cap from the dealer and it still keeps blinking. It is driving me crazy! Please advise.

Buick century [ 4 Answers ]

My buick century has a acceleration problem between 30-50mph I've tried everything but can't figure it out,help

Buick century custom [ 2 Answers ]

What is the differents between buick century and buick century custom?

View more questions Search