Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patrick46 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2008, 06:04 PM
    1991 honda civic bogs even after fuel filter replacement
    I have a 1991 Honda Civic Hatchback. A few times I put the key in the ignition switch, turn it, and click! Nothing.. If I keep trying it, eventually it does click and start.

Now this usually happens when I've been driving for awhile, and then shut it off and let it sit. It happens the most when the weather is fairly hot, and the car is sitting in it. Like when I go grocery shopping.

I read somewhere, that the main relay could cause this, and that sometimes the solder joints separate, causing the relay to work intermittently. And that you can take out the relay, and re-solder the joints to fix it. So I tried that, but it still does the same thing.

So I'm not sure about what would cause that. (Ignition switch?)

Another problem this car has, is after starting, and driving for roughly 10 minutes, the engine bogs down, and almost dies. If I floor it, it speeds up and runs fine, and I have no more problems.

I thought.. fuel filter. Since I never have replaced it.

So I replaced it, and put it all back together. Tried driving it again, and it now bogs down a lot more. It still runs better when I floor it, but then it returns to bogging down shortly after. It seemed to run better before I replaced the filter. Any ideas on this?

Prior to the fuel filter replacement. When I was on the freeway, and driving at higher speeds, the check engine light came on after de-accelerating from 65 to 55 or under.

It happened, after holding a higher speed for more than 10 to 15 minutes.

Then when I dropped the speed, that's when the light came on. If I pulled over, turned off the ignition switch, then restarted, and got on the freeway again, the light stayed off for awhile, but then repeated the same process all over again.

Could it be the O2 sensor? I'm running out of things to try here.

Other than all of the things listed above, the car is great! Gas mileage is about 30 miles per gallon.

So I don't know what it could be. I haven't checked the codes, I'm not sure what type of code reader to get OBD I or OBD II? Or even if those readers will work or not with my car.

Thank you.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2008, 06:33 PM
    . Check for codes, when the Check Engine Light comes on:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post832012

Reset the ECM, after you fix whatever is causing the CEL to come on, by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 10 seconds.

. Replace main relay, which is located just above the fuse box.

. Replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

'95 Honda Civic Fuel Filter [ 5 Answers ]

I am having problems starting my car. I believe it's the fuel filter. I do not have my owner's manual. I cannot find the location of my fuel filter, for the life of me. Can someone please provide the exact location or give me a link to a diagram? Thanks in advance!

Fuel filter for honda civic [ 1 Answers ]

What is the service bolt for in the fuel filter?

Fuel filter on a 1997 honda civic lx [ 1 Answers ]

How do I change the fuel filter? Any tips

Fuel filter 94 honda civic [ 1 Answers ]

How do I change a 94 honda civic?

Fuel injection relay 1991 Honda Civic EX [ 2 Answers ]

I have been reading the advice on home repair of this main fuel relay in the honda civic. I have identical problems and symptoms. My problem is that I can not find the relay. Ive had the fuse block almost completely out, and the relay is just not there, on the front side or back side. I...

View more questions Search