Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    7up Posts: 180, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2008, 05:13 AM
    Catalytic converter
    If the catalytic converter is bad would that cause the car not to start? Thank you
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2008, 05:34 AM
    Why do you think it might be bad? Does it smell like rotten eggs? What problems have you had with it? A loss of power from about 80 km/h, less gas mileage?
    Are your spark plugs filed? Do you need a tune up?
    loverboy44 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Jul 26, 2008, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 7up
    if the catalytic converter is bad would that cause the car not to start? thank you
    No ,it could be your fuel pump or timing chain belt,oryou need plugs and wires.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 27, 2008, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 7up
    if the catalytic converter is bad would that cause the car not to start? thank you
    It shouldn't prevent the vehicle from starting.
    If the converter is bad, it could affect performance, particularly after it has heated to operating temperature.
    What year, make, model and engine is your car?
    You may want to test the battery and starter, ignition and fuel system first.
    Tell us more, please...
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2008, 09:13 AM
    The simple answer, as others have said, is no. Like Rich said, we need more information to help you figure out what's going on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Catalytic Converter Replacement [ 1 Answers ]

My 1998 Honda CR-V check engine light is on. Honda dealer tells me the catalytic converter needs to be replaced. If I replace this myself will the check engine light go off or will something have to be reset? Also, will I need a genuine Honda part or can I purchase one off the internet that will...

Catalytic Converter? [ 4 Answers ]

What is a catalytic converter and what does it do? What will happen if I take it out and put straight pipe in place of it?

Catalytic converter,02 [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 98 accord, has run perfect for 10 years. The other day doing 60 down the road it just shut down. No lack of power, no rough running, just shut down. Coasted to side, it cranked over fine but would not start. Waited 5 minutes, started took back off a mile down the road at 60 again it...

Catalytic converter [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I would like to know if anyone has had aproblem with a catalytic converter, and what the symptoms would be on your car, I have a 2005 nissan quest and it jerks rpm stays at 5 when on the highway, I have had a diagnostic test by the dealer ship and waiting for part to come in, but was...

79 Ford won't stay running (is it the catalytic converter) [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 79 Ford F100 with a 300 Straight six and it will not Idle or even stay reunning when I let off. It seemed to be running rich so I installed a new carb. After installing a new carb it ran fine for about 5 miles then it started acting up again. It runs great when I have my foot on the...

View more questions Search