Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zahu1 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Jul 15, 2003, 09:29 AM
    Honda Accord
    I am having problem with my Honda :( startes great from home , but as soon as I live from work approx 8hours later it does not want to start. Cranks and that's it. Nothing else. Mostly everything is new. Battery, wires, plugs, cap,rotor, timing belt,balancer belt, seals, water pump, intake manifold gasket. I got the car towed and then as soon as it got there it started.? Anyone have any idea.

Zak
    Ron Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2004, 08:09 AM
    Honda Accord
    I have a similar problem with a 1992 Accord. I do not know what it is causing it. It runs great for periods and then out of the blue, it does not start. I wait a while between 5-20 minutes at time and it starts has if everything was 100%. Did you ever find out what the problem was? If so please tel me. Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 18, 2004, 10:37 AM
    Honda Accord
    F it won't turn over when it is hot, check the starter motor, maybe replace its bearings. If it turns over, but no spark, it could be the coil or ignition module. They are sensitive to heat, failing first when hot, then completely.
    dinman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2004, 07:23 AM
    Honda Accord
    Have your main relay switch checked. It's located under your drivers' side dash. It's a common problem among older Accord's. Many will not start if they have been sitting outside, usually only occurs during summer months, and the inside of the car begins to heat up. After initially trying to start the car, it fails but once it sits for 5-10 minutes it will usually start.
    jencinderella Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2004, 11:48 AM
    Honda Accord
    I am having a similar problem with the 97 Honda Accord. It seems to not start after it's rained really hard. I was under the hood of the car, and noticed that one of the "black plugs" going to the distributor cap doesn't have a wire making a connection to anything. Does anyone know a) if that would cause the problem b) what are those "black plugs" going to the distributor cap called. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know it's something simple like replacing a part and I don't want to get jacked around by a car mechanic. (Sorry, to any car mechanics out there.) :)
    brotzg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2004, 02:34 PM
    Honda Accord
    I got a Honda Accord 1992 with the same problem. It occurs only when it's really HOT outside. I try to start it but nothing works, and then all of a sudden by some magic trick, it's working again... Pretty annoying. And no one found what is the REAL problem. I think the trick is to open the windows and wait a bit for the inside to cool down before starting or re-starting the car again.
    Travis Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2004, 04:38 AM
    Honda Accord
    Did you try changing the battery posts?
    flickcorn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2004, 01:13 PM
    Honda Accord
    Hello, I've been having the same problems as mentioned by others, and am wondering if anyone has been able to solve the problem. I have a long drive ahead of me, and don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere. Thanks
    virginiaboy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2004, 09:56 PM
    Honda Accord
    I am not sure when exactly, but I believe it happends when it is really hot outside. My car will try to start but it won't turn over. I had it towed and then when I got to the mechanic (30mins later) it turned on and everything was working fine. It happened again about 4 weeks later after I replaced the battery. It turned on right when I had my friend mechanic come take a look. It was maybe 20 minutes later. It just clicks and tries to turn on but never starts. What could this be? It seems to be the same problem as everyone else who is writing in - I have a 99 honda accord cpe. Please reply and help. Some say I should change my distributer. It cost 600 dollars at honda. I really don't want to be a used - like new one from a store though.
    virginiaboy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2004, 10:00 PM
    Honda Accord
    I went to honda - to report this same problem and they said that they are unable to help unless I can reproduce the problem. I asked about what it could be - and he said it would be the main relay but not sure if I should change the main relay or not. Honda isn't sure and they won't help unless I can reproduce the incident.
    Johnney Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2004, 01:40 PM
    Honda Accord
    I have the same problem as you guys mentioned. My car is 92 Honda Acoord. In hot weather or after filled some gas in gas station, it happends all the time. When I gave the first try, the engine starts, but it only last for les than one second, then die. After that, engine never starts. I have to wait for few minutes, then it works again. So sad we have this problem. >:( Some of my friends said that that was the main relay. But I think I just fill some gas, it shouldnot have any business with the relay. :P others said the distributor problem. Who knows? :'(
    gunyvw Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2004, 11:26 AM
    Honda Accord
    Man... its seems like an epidemic...

Message posted...

A lot of honda products and acura's around 89 through 91 suffered from bad ignigters a jumpstart almost always worked when you couldn't get the car started... which made figuring this problem out more difficult... they had a recall at one time on them...
    Replacement of the ignigter should do the trick
    Hope this helps

I would be willing to bet that this is some of you all's problem... too much simularity
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Nov 25, 2004, 08:40 AM
    It's the main relay!
    Search for other posts here on this. I resoldered my main relay and it works great now!

Kresho
    j'sgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2004, 05:08 PM
    Hey... maybe this will help. I have a 92 honda accord lx, that was doing the same thing when it was really hot outside. Every symptom everyone has mentioned here, my car had. People (including mechanics) thought I was crazy. I could not get it to start then someone else would come along and try and it would start fine. I also had it towed at one point, and sure enough it started when it got to the mechanic. I finally took it to a honda dealership out of frustration, and they replaced the main relay, and it has been great ever since. I would say... take it into your local honda dealership and they will more than likely tell you that it is a main relay problem. Hope this helps.
    malibob Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2005, 07:09 PM
    Maybe this will help
    I had a 91 accord lx with the same problem car would start fine when cold
    But if I stopped it woudin`t start , I had to wait a few minutes them it would start like nothing happened!? I changed the igniter ,it solved the problem temporarely , after a few months it started doing it again! so I changed the coil, it also solved the problem temporarely... after speaking with a few mechanics I`ve been told tha no matter what after a certain time
    Or mileage it would be better to change the whole distributor.. it worked!!
    I sold the car and its still running with over 300 000 km.
    I just bought a 92 ex 115 000 original km on it , but just to be safe I had it inspected ,brought the car to the mechanic ,took the compression bla bla bla... after every thing was done I got in the car... woudn`t start... so the mec.tells me it`s the distributor let`s push it outside wait 10 min. and try it.. gess what?? It started just like my 91.. so back at the dealer I told the guy the distributor had to be changed ```for a new one only ```now it starts fine warm or cold.I hope this can help some of you.
    little black pearl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2005, 06:13 PM
    Honda: sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't
    I had the same sort of problem with my 84 prelude. I never did fix it, but I found out that if you hold the key and the ignition "on," she eventually cranks over. Sometimes I would have to hold the key for a good five minutes... guess this sounds like a drain on the battery, but it always worked. I found that she didn't have so many problems with her ignition in the summer time... hope this helps someone.
    TJ'SHONDA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2005, 08:28 AM
    98 Honda Accord Starting Problem
    My 98 Accord,
    Does Not Crank Over At All
    It Is Not The Battery.
    This Happened About A Month Ago And Now It Has Happened.
    Drive In The Drive Way Park It Came Back Out Does Not Turn Over, Does Not Click, No Noise
    Has This Happened To Anyone
    main Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2005, 09:36 AM
    Main relay solution
    Hadd the same problem on my 92 accord. This solved the problem :) http://www.markl.f9.co.uk/howto/elec...main-relay.htm Or you can just replace it with a new one.
    Visalia1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2005, 03:32 PM
    Honda Accord Stuck in drive
    I have a 1998 Honda Accord Lx 4 cyl (Automatic). It has 165k on it. I have tuned it up often, and oil changes as needed. The last few months sometimes my car does not want to get out of drive when it starts. I have to keep putting my foot on the brake... on and off, on and off to reset the unlock on the shifter. Finally I can hear a click and it gets unlocked. Well some days it only takes a few seconds, and others I can hit the brake for 5-10 minutes. I have called honda and they could not help me over the phone. I took it to a pep boys and they did not know what was wrong with it. So if anyone has any info on this it would be appreciated.

Thank You!
    DrEd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 05:24 AM
    Hi I have a 94 Honda Accord EX and I have a similar problem when it is hot outside. If I am away from my car for a couple hours and leave it in the open Sun is will not crank. My experience is that I normally have to wait until the temperature goods down, shade, rain or an overcast to make the temperature to go down.

When I am at home I don't have the problem because I park my car in the garage.

To get around the problem, I try to park my car in the shade or under a tree so that it does not receive direct sun light. If anyone has an in expensive solution please let me know.
    Thanks.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1986 Honda Accord LX/1996 Honda Accord LX [ 12 Answers ]

Would someone be able to tell me if the wheels on an 1986 Honda Accord are interchangeable with those of a 1996 Honda Accord. Thank you

Honda Accord 97 [ 5 Answers ]

I need help with my Honda Accord 97-SE; My vehicle will not start or turn over (no sound). My windows, a/c and dash item will not work and I can't place the vehice in gear. I check the fuses under the hood and all appears well--- any ideas

Honda Accord [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a Honda accord 2.2i 1991. It has played up a bit recently, not starting straight away but the other day it just died while driving slowly down a country lane. The Rac breakdown guy said it was a suspect Distributor. How can I be Sure before I spend my Money. Thanks in advance Ivor.

Honda Accord [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I have a 91 Accord with an intermittent problem. When I try to kick it in to pass a car, or go up a hill, it starts bucking and chugging and rather than go faster, the speed goes down. Eventually, the engine turns off and the engine light comes on - the speed suddenly picks up and its fine...

97 honda accord ls [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter has a honda accord it won't crank it shows it is in park and d4 the d4 light flashes and car won't start. We have no idea what is wrong sometimes if you disable the battery for several hrs and hook it back up it will start any ideas?

View more questions Search