Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gwill8951 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2004, 07:26 AM
    2001 Dodge Ram overheating
    ??
    I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 that recently needed the water pump replaced. After replacement the truck kept overheating.

I then took the liberty to replace the thermostat as well. I replaced the fan & clutch assembly as well. As far as hardware is concerned, that leaves only the radiator hoses and radiator, sensor, and heater core. The truck overheats every time after a 30 minute drive. And if the ambient temp is warm >80 degrees or engaging the A/C the temp skyrockets and over boils. Meaning at least the temp sensor is correct.

I have tried on several attempts to run the engine hot and with the cab heat turned on and then letting the truck cool to help rid the system of any air. So what is causing my problem?

Is there a definet way to remove any remaining air in the system? Could my radiator be blocked to partially clogged?

This same problem existed after the water pump was replaced and the previous thermostat was being used.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2004, 09:29 AM
    Shut the engine off when it is warm and try feeling the radiator core where you can get to it. Every part of it should be hot. If part of it is colder, the water isn't circulating right. You need to either have it cleaned out or replace it. If it isn't very hot anywhere, the next thing I would do is replace the radiator hoses. They are not that expensive and are nearing the end of their average life.
    teeceeum Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2004, 11:24 AM
    You might have an air pocket trapped in the system somewhere which can cause the water pump to cavitate. Take off the radiator cap, add coolant if needed, and start the truck. Let it run until the thermostat opens (you will see the water flowing through the radiator) and then for a couple of minutes after. Turn it off and let it cool with the cap still off. Repeat this two or three times.

Also make sure that you have the proper rated thermostat and that it's not installed backwards.

Good luck.
    danielmpage Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2004, 07:08 AM
    I just finished troubleshooting my 2000 Volvo V40 for a similar problem. (Actually, the Volvo dealership did the work, I just paid them... ) They replaced the thermostat and engine temperature sensor, but the final diagnosis was that the front of the AC condenser and radiator was clogged with dirt, leaves and other junk. They sprayed it thoroughly with a pressure washer and now my engine doesn't overheat anymore. I hope that helps!
    gkhambone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2004, 05:24 PM
    Re: 2001 Dodge Ram overheating
    OK, first if the this started with you replacing the water pump, you might have a bad pump. Chevys have left and right hand impellers, dodge might too. Or if the impeler is spinning as needed that might cause issues to. Also look at your head gaskett??
    cindimccs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2004, 07:54 AM
    My 1995 Ram 1500 is overheating also. I have replaced the water pump, upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat and put on a new radiator cap, and flushed the radiator twice. Still gets hot, also after about 30 minutes. The upper and lower hoses are hot, but... the water is not moving with the radiator cap off. Is this the radiator that I need to replace? Somebody said I needed a heater core?? Help! :-/
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2004, 08:09 AM
    Like I said on the 2001, check the radiator to see if it is hot. Good advice from Danial on making sure the outside of the core isn't clogged up although that wouldn't keep the water from circulating. I very much doubt the heater core has anything to do with it. If belt driven check the belt on the water pump.
    William Hendren Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2005, 06:34 AM
    200 Dodge 1500 Overheating
    I Have A 200 Dodge 1500 And It Runs Hot On The Temp Gauge And I Have Checked It At This Time And The Radiator Is Cool To The Touch. I Have Changed The Thermastat But It Still Does It. When It Runs Hot In A Minute It Will Drop Back Down To Normal Operating Temperature. I Have Noticed Lately When The Temperature Starts Going Up The Heater Throws Out Good Heat But When The Gauge Shows It Overheating The Heater Starts Throwing Out Cold Air.
    ramnath1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2007, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gwill8951
    ???
    I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 that recently needed the water pump replaced. After replacement the truck kept overheating.

I then took the liberty to replace the thermostat as well. I replaced the fan & clutch assembly as well. As far as hardware is concerned, that leaves only the radiator hoses and radiator, sensor, and heater core. The truck overheats everytime after a 30 minute drive. And if the ambient temp is warm >80 degrees or engaging the A/C the temp skyrockets and over boils. Meaning at least the temp sensor is correct.

I have tried on several attempts to run the engine hot and with the cab heat turned on and then letting the truck cool to help rid the system of any air. So what is causing my problem?

Is there a definet way to remove any remaining air in the system? Could my radiator be blocked to partially clogged?

This same problem existed after the water pump was replaced and the previous thermostat was being used.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!
    First check or flush the radiator, then I'm not sure how your dodge is ,but check the engine where the upper radiator hose connects at the motor, there might be a plug there probably a hex head fitting if so then you have to bleed the air from there , that should cure your problem.
    mtobryan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 09:56 AM
    My brother had a 2001 1500 that overheated, but only when driven for 30 minutes or more continuously. He replaced the thermostat, fan clutch, and radiator. It still overheated. Turned out to be a pinhole leak down at the water pump It took them forever to find this.
    sdewitt Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 12:00 AM
    You might want to try cleaning out the fins on the radiator as well. Mine was clogged with buggs and dirt, caused big problems, take it to the car wash and spray through the front. Be careful not to get to close with the sprayer as high pressure could damage the radiator
    frankiedon53 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2013, 07:36 PM
    If the serpintine belt is installed incorrectly the water-pump spins backwards so it is well worth it to check that.I own a dodge ram van too and I know that getting the belt on right can be tricky .My van has a belt diagram on the radiator cowling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overheating problem in 1992 Dodge B250 van [ 5 Answers ]

I have a van that still has an overheating problem though it has been to the shop. The places that did the repairs replaced one of the heater hoses and the bypass hose which fixed the initial problem of overheating and leaking coolant. The leaking has not occurred since then. However, the...

2001 Dodge Ram Oxy sensor [ 3 Answers ]

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4, 318 with Auto. My problem is that the check engine light keeps coming on, the trouble code is P0138 which should be the after Cat Oxy sensor. It is an intermitant problem that seems to happen more when it is wet. I have checked the wiring and can't seem to find any...

96 Dodge Ram Overheating [ 1 Answers ]

My brother has a 96 Dodge Ram that keeps overheating after going a few miles. He has replaced the thermastate, water pump, and clutch band. The radiator is only a year old. The water levels are fine. There is no blowed head. Why is this truck still running hot?

View more questions Search