Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrchava Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2006, 05:25 PM
    My civic ex 1998 doesn't start :(
    Guys, I have a problem, my civic has always been reliable, never gave me a problem, but the one I have starte like this: a few days ago I strated the car as usual to go to work, and the car had ignition but was a slow kind of ignition, but it started, the next day it did it the same way but slower ignition, now I don't even get a spark, all the lights on the dash lit up as they used to before the ignition, so I know that it is not the battery, now my civic is manual 5 speed, so if I push it I can start it going down hill, but one I turn it off I need another push, someone told me that the starter was stuck and usually if I hit it a few times with a rubber hammer it should start, well, I did but it doesn't start, once I turn the key I just hear the ignition turning (something like a few fast clicks), now, I am not very familiar with car parts and I am a little broke, so I need expert help from you please!
    :D
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Mar 4, 2006, 02:44 AM
    Are you sure you do not get a spark? Did you check to see if you're missing a spark or fuel? The car turns over normally, or a bit slower?
    mrchava Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2006, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CroCivic91
    Are you sure you do not get a spark? Did you check to see if you're missing a spark or fuel? The car turns over normally, or a bit slower?
    Thank you for your repply, there is no spark at all, all I hear is a very fast set of clicks that were the ones preceding the ignition, those were as fast as when the car was fine, so I assume they are OK, they are fast clicks, I replaced the spark plugs, the cables and the head where those cables connect, and all I can hear when I try to start the car with the key is the clicking sounds from that head where the cables of the sparkplugs are connected, but the engine is not turning, there is no spark at all :(
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Mar 4, 2006, 04:47 PM
    Let's go over some words here that we use

"Engine turning over" means that when you turn the key, that you can hear the engine rotating (trying to start). Engine can turn over without getting fuel or spark.

Engine can fail to start because of not getting fuel or not getting spark (2 main reasons).

For instructions how to check for fuel and spark, read the FAQ provided in this Autos&Trucks forum.

Did you check all your fuses?

Are you sure the clicking noise is coming from inside the distributor? That black plastic thing that spark plug wires come out from and go to the valve cover is called the distributor cap.

Do you maybe hear clicks from under your steering wheel?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1998 honda accord don't start [ 161 Answers ]

I have a 1998 honda accord that don't won't to start all the time.   I have read that other honda owners are having this problem.  I have had a mechanic to look at the car and of course the car starts with him my husband is trying to figure this out.  I think I am going to contact the main Honda...

94 civic - won't start [ 5 Answers ]

My son's 94 civic has an ongoing problem with starting(fuel pump won't run). I have read several of the posts concerning this problem. The main relay is not energizing when the key is turned on. The only wire in the harness that is getting voltage is pin 1 when the key is on. I took the relay out...

Civic dx 93 won't start [ 19 Answers ]

Hi, My civic won't start. I performed most tests discussed in other similar threads and here are my observations -I get fire at the 4 spark plugs (I changed the plugs about 3 months ago and they're covered by carbon deposits) -I get fuel when trying to start the engine Is timing wrong? ...

1998 honda accord won't start. [ 0 Answers ]

I need some help. My car ran out of gas two weeks ago and hasn't started since. I put more gas in the tank and when I tried to fire it up it wouldn't start. I thought that it might be the fuel system, e.g. fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, but after running some simple diagnostics, decided to...

1998 Honda Civic Wires [ 4 Answers ]

My 1998 Honda Civic had 2 diagnostic test last week. One auto machanic found nothing after 1 1/2 hrs accept maybe some wires were bad under the battery. The 2nd test I was told the wires under the car were bad and I would pay for 3 hrs labor, but no new parts were needed. My car speedometer is...

View more questions Search