Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LOVE4JESUS Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2004, 11:31 AM
    Problem with 91 Honda Civic
    I can drive my car turn off the engine to go in the store, but when I try starting my car up again it will not start. I have to while for 10-15 minutes and then it starts. The last time this happened I had to wait about nine hours. I got it home then it would not start for about a week. Can someone please tell me what the problem is?
    I got a tune-up on my 91 Honda Civic in February and every since then I have changed my distrubutor button twice. What is burning up my distrubutor button. Can someone please tell me what the problem is?
    damuho Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2004, 05:07 PM
    When you say your car does not start, does it make any cranking sound? If not, the starter could be bad.

Assuming the starter is fine but the engine does not turn over, then you need to check to see what is missing: spark or fuel. There are two most common causes of no-starts with Hondas - the ignition module (inside the distributor) or the main relay. My father-in-law had a similar problem with his '89 Civic and I found the main relay is bad. It does not start when it is hot (or even just warmed up). I removed it and reworked the solder joints and it is fine now. The main relay is located under the dash to the left. I believe your model year uses the same type/brand. It is black and the maker is Matsuba (I think... ). Just remove the mounting bolt and unplug it from the wire harness. It is easy to pop the relay open and resolder the everything on the board. To check it, if you turn the ignition on it should make a clicking sound and the car will start. If it does not make a clicking sound, the car will not start.

Sep 7, 2004, 01:50 PM
    It makes a cranking sound, it is not getting fire. Someone told me that it could be the gas I am using. I use citgo 87. They told me to use Amoco or Exxon 89. I thank you very much for your help. :) The part you said I need, can I do it myself or I have to get a tech to do it?

Sep 11, 2004, 03:00 AM
    I'm quite sure the problem is with the main relay but here is something you can do to double-check:
    Buy a can of starter fluid. The next time the car would not start, use a Philips screw driver to remove four screws holding the throttle body cover (it's the black metallic cover on top of the engine). Spray some starter fluid into the throttle body and place the cover immediately (even with just two screws) and try to start again. It is best if you can have someone try to start it immediately after you sprayed the fluid. Don't forget to check the cover to make sure you have reinstalled all four screws back.

If it starts, the problem is definitely the main relay. It's clicking sound when you turn the ignition to the ON position indicates fuel has been delivered to the chamber for starting. All you need then is spark from the plugs for the engine to start.

It is quite easy to change the main relay. As I have mentioned in my earlier reply, you may need to just resolder the contacts on the relay's PCB. If you know how to do soldering, you should just do it yourself or ask someone you know to help you. The relay is under the dash on the left end mounted with a single bolt. Make sure you disconnect the negative battery cable before you do anything. Remove the bolt then disconnect the wiring harness. You can pry the plastic cover (black with Matsuba labeling) off with a flat screw driver. Resolder the board. This main relay is a common problem with your car. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Sep 11, 2004, 03:05 AM
    By the way, you should also scan the car's computer for errors. If the problem is the main relay, you will get a code 16. The computer is under the carpeting on the passenger foot rest. There is a lamp (LED) on top that you can use to count the number of blinks. You will see it after you remove the carpet out of the way. You start counting after you turn the ignition to the ON position. Code 16 will have 16 successive blinks of the red LED. Code 16 means there is a problem with the fuel injector circuit. This circuit includes the main relay.

Sep 13, 2004, 12:15 PM
    Thank you again, I am going to try that when I get off work (see if I can do it myself) I will let you know how everything went.
    Expando1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2004, 04:46 PM
    Re: Problem with 91 Honda Civic
    I have a 1990 Honda Civic. I have been having this odd intermittent starting problem for a year now. It ONLY has difficulty starting when the weather is hot. In the morning, everning/night, and during the fall/winter it starts like a champ, on the first crank every time. But during the hottest parts of the day it just won't. It sounds like it wants to but just doesn't. Now if I wait 30 minutes or so and try again it starts normally.

I have gotten a tune up, changed the fuel filter, air filter, flushed the radiator, and checked the battery but the problem persists in this very predictible way. I read from someone else's post that for many Hondas the main relay is the culprit so last weekend I bought a new main relay from the auto parts store. Much to my dismay, the starting problem persists.

What am I not thinking of? What else could pose such a specific problem--starting problems during the hottest part of the day only, reliably starts 30 minutes after first attempt, never a problem at night or during winter?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2004, 05:57 PM
    I see these Honda problems and nobody seems to be solving them. I don't know too much about Hondas, but maybe you need to apply standard no start procedures when it is hot and not starting.

Since you say it sounds like it is trying to start, I assume you mean it is cranking. Move on to checking for spark and fuel. Often a failing coil or ignition module will not produce spark or as good of spark when hot. Harder to do with the direct ignition, but pull the whole assembly off and hold one of the terminals near a ground when you crank. Spark, no spark? Pull an injector or the whole fuel rail and see if it sprays gas when you crank. Note, watch where you spray gas. Look carefully and see if start circuit has separate feeds for the gas or ignition from the run circuit.

If the engine is turning over, you have spark, and fuel, it should start. Find where something is stopping one of the 3 on a hot start, and replace it.

Sep 19, 2004, 07:22 PM
    I may have to do that Labman. If it's the relay, as so many are convinced, it's going to manifest as a fuel delivery problem... I'll replace the fuel pump, but the problem will persist. I called the dealership yesterday and explained to them the problem and the guy immediately said, "It's the main relay." When I told him I already replaced it there was silence... then he said, "Bring it in and we'll run the codes."

Here's a finger in your pudding... it may be related or it may be a red herring. I hitherto figured it was a red herring and completely dismissed it. The power locks do not work during the day time. After sunset they function normally. This parallels my starting problems. Now, since I've already replaced the Main Relay could this be a POST-relay problem, i.e. the power locks and the relay share a common circuit or harness thereby persenting with a problem that seems for all the world to be a Main Relay problem? I sure would like to hear what you guys have to say before I dust off my credit card again and start yanking stuff out. :-/

Sep 20, 2004, 01:34 AM
    The main relay and igniter are the most common cause of the 'no-start' problems with your Honda. Of the 4 problems I have actually seen, 3 are with the main relay and 1 is with the igniter. They are both heat-related.

If you followed labman's suggestion of checking for spark, it's almost certainly an igniter problem if you don't see a spark (when the car would not start, of course!). I heard there is now a better replacement for this igniter. It is easy to replace but you need to be sure because it is quite expensive.

My father-in-law's '89 Civic Wagovan started having this problem this Spring. When Summer came, it became worse. It starts fine cold but even after running it for 2-5 minutes, it will hesitate to start again... until allowed to cool down. It had spark and I saw a Code 16 from the computer. I checked the main relay and it was failing intermittently. I reworked the solder on the PCB and it was fine again. I bought a new main relay but the old, reworked relay is still in the car with no problem.

I suggest you scan your computer for error codes. Code 16 would suggest a fault in the injector circuit - which includes the main relay. I forgot the code for a failing igniter - you can find it from a manual.

By the way, what brand main relay did you buy?

Sep 20, 2004, 09:44 AM
    Well I'm hitting myself right now. Just discovered that I DID NOT replace the main relay a week ago. I replaced the 'fuel pump relay'. I placed myself at the mercy of the auto store... since I didn't know what the main relay looked like I asked them for one and then found the identical part in my car and swapped them out. If it wasn't for a bit of fortune I may have gone on thinking I replaced the right part. Well OK, I'll keep an eye on the car now and let you guys know if all is well.

Sep 20, 2004, 11:46 AM
    After installing the main relay, I started counting after turning the ignition to the on position and it still blinked 16 times. What does that mean?
    How do I know that it was really the main relay, my car alwayed started because it was not hot enough for my car not start.

Sep 20, 2004, 04:56 PM
    Expando1:
    I figured something must be wrong with the part which is why I was asking for the 'brand' - to make sure you are changing the right part. The car comes with a Matsuba main relay.

LOVE4JESUS:
    To clear the computer's memory, you need to disconnect the negative battery terminal for about 15-20seconds, then reconnect. Scan for error codes again and it should be clear. Obviously, you will not get an error code again if your car continuous to start.

Did you try using starter fluid when the car would not start or did you jump ahead to replacing/fixing the main relay? Did you rework it or bought a new one?

At the very least, it's good news that your cars are starting fine for now. Keep observing and update us in a day or two.

Sep 21, 2004, 07:53 AM
    No I did not try using the starter fluid because my car would start right up. So that is when I went to check the computer to see if the red light will blink 16 times and if did. I replaced (bought a new Matsuba main rely) The computer is still blinking 16 times but I will try what you said to do. Thanks
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Nov 19, 2004, 03:02 AM
    Thanks everybody
    First of all, sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead.

I'd like to thank you all for your infos on this problem. My dad bought this Civic 91 DX brand new and started experiencing problems about 2 years after. Mechanics here at Croatia had no clue what the problem was. Then my brother was given this car and he tried solving it - again with no luck. So now when I finally got it, I found you and managed to work it out last night.

Taking it out was the hard part - it took me about 3 hours, a lot of patience and some back pain to get it out. Resoldering it was a piece of cake. My computer is not throwing error code 16 any more, and the car is starting up like it should.

Anyway - thanks once again! ;)

Nov 23, 2004, 03:59 AM
    Glad to hear the fix worked for you!
    rudolph Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2005, 05:03 AM
    Honda Civic 93 Starting Problem
    Hi! I have a Honda Civic 1993 117000 miles. If I get to start it, it starts fine after it has warmed up but when I leave it for a long time, like leave it overnight, when I start it, the motor turns/crank and I struggle to make it start. Sometimes it wouldn't start at all and then my battery becomes dead, and it's a new battery. Starter changed, distributor changed, ignition system checked and fine. Main relay was changed but I don't know if it was also defective, I got it from a junkyard. Don't know what's wrong. Plus, the car smells gas but there is no leak anywhere, please help, I need a car to go to work. My speedometer won't work. Sometimes it works when the car has been driven a long time, say 15-20 minutes or more. Thanks for your help!
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Mar 20, 2005, 06:07 AM
    One thing I noticed is that you said you got a new main relay from a junkyard. That might be a problem, since the junkyard main relay might be experiencing the same problems as your old one. Here is a nice HOW-TO that helped me do the same thing on my Civic: http://www.markl.f9.co.uk/howto/elec...main-relay.htm

If you say your ignition system is checked, that means you are getting spark. If your car is not starting, it means it does not get gas, or it does not try to ignite the mixture at the right moment. Labman would suggest to pull the injectors from the rail, point them to something that's not hot and will not ignite the fuel, and try starting the car to see if that injector delivers fuel. If all injectors are good - you should check your timing.
    racingsean Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2005, 01:45 PM
    Honda not starting all the time
    94 civic dx,new battery, starter, and altnator.Car will start and run with new battery for 3 days then try and start it next day and it won't as if the battery is dying while trying to or like its running off battery only and not charging.Hav had other friends say it would b the fusible link from the starter solnied to altnator. Anyone mite know where that would be located and if that sounds like a fusible link??
    tattooman69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2012, 06:39 AM
    I had the same problem, its your fuel pump relay, which is located near your fuse box. 91 civic has a little change compartment left of steering wheel, take the screw out inside that compartment, remove it and the relay is behind it, very easy to fix. I could only get it at dealership, costs around 25$

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HONDA CIVIC EX 96 fluctuate rpm problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hi , I have a honda civic ex 96 ,when is in idle and I turn on the a/c the rpm fluctuate, its go about 100 rpm up and down not that much, sometime went I accelerated to 2,000 rpm and let it go back to idle it work normal ,but most of the time that I'm driving and it goes to idle start fluctuate...

Starting problem with Honda Civic [ 8 Answers ]

Honda Civic Year 94, Manual Transmission 100,000 miles The car has been giving me starting problems the last few days but it runs well once started. It stops starting if I keep the car parked for a day (it starts if I try starting it within an hour or so after I stop). It starts when I...

92 Honda Civic LX engine problem. [ 2 Answers ]

Someon please answer this question. I just got to work and my "check engine", "battery" and "coolent" lights came on and my car just stopped and wouldn't go any further. What is going on?? I just had an oil change 3 days ago and filled my car with gas 20 min. before this happened. HELP! I'm stuck...

92 Honda Civic problem [ 5 Answers ]

My 92 Honda Civic DX is displaying the "check engine light". There is noise and vibrations coming from where the converter meets the exhaust under the car-no sign of cracks or holes. Also there is a high pitched sound in the engine like a bad belt. The only performance problem so far is an...

2000 honda civic problem [ 5 Answers ]

Hey, My 2000 honda civic si while driving in 4th gear, kicked out and the engine light came on. A few minutes later the oil light came on and the engine shut off. When I pulled over all the oil leaked out from the bottom. Please help me on why this happened? Thanks in an advance Cory

View more questions Search