Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    outsydthbox Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 09:12 AM
    Doesn't the "fuel pressure regulator test" assume the car is running? Because you won't get any manifold vacuum if it isn't. So pinching-off the vac hose means nothing in my case.
    However, I did a pressure test (after fabricating an adapter to fit the service port) by turning the key until I hear the pump run for 2 seconds. The results are 39-40 psi. Right in the range
    Of 35- 41 psi for 1985 through 1990 civic dual-point injection.
    FWIW, I have looked at 2 other civics in same year range, and none of them have a ground wire, or any other harness grounded to the thermostat housing.
    BTW, I do thank you for your continuing communications. Eventually I'll find the problem, and it will no doubt be something very simple.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 12, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Yes, assumes engine is running.

Never give up!
    outsydthbox Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2008, 07:01 PM
    HERE IS WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS!!
    After thinking about how the car would start after sitting for a few days (and only run for a second), then smelling raw gas, I thought it must be flooding. I checked out a few other discussion groups on the subject : cleaning fuel injectors... (long story-short)... ohm tested injectors, both good. I pulled the wiring plugs from the injectors(both of them) and it sounded like it wanted to start!. dirty injectors stuck open?. Cleaned them in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner (did not submerge ) filled with SEAFOAM, put them back in, and it has run great ! Mileage has also improved. Before, 28 to 33 (last tank before it quit, 25) now having run for 4 or 5 fill-ups, it's getting 35-37 mpg!
    Something so simple! I hope this can help someone else keep it rollin' down the road.
    P.S. If you have 150k or more, take your injectors to a shop that does "ultrasonic cleaning" and testing. According to one Volvo owner, that had used the high dollar "through the tank or rail" cleaners, nothing was as good as ultrasonic. You'll be amazed by the difference in before/after spray pattern
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2008, 07:25 PM
    Great idea. My father has an ultrasonic cleaner and uses them to clean carburetor parts. They do an awesome job.
    jugelcanah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2011, 06:19 PM
    89civic hatchback starts sometimes but normally cranks acts like getting no fuel changed fuel filter and pump still same could it be map sensor 89 civic 1.5l
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2011, 06:46 PM
    jugelcanah, I would replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil, if the Check Engine Light comes on for 2 seconds and then goes out, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II).

MAP Sensors are extremely reliable and often expensive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 92 Honda civic cranks over but won't Start! [ 5 Answers ]

My 92 civic has 228,000 miles, turns over but won't start. I had replaced the distributor thinking the ignitor was at falt, battery is good, timing belt and components were changed 29,000 miles ago. There is NO check engine light coming on, only when I'm trying to start the car. I can hear the fuel...

Engine Cranks but won't start [ 5 Answers ]

I drove my 97 eclipse gst with 53000 miles the other day and parked it shortly after. It would not start again. Engine would crank but would not start. I checked fuel pump, works when turning the key. I checked fuel rail and it is receiving fuel. I checked spark on all wires it is fine and plugs...

94 civic cranks but won't start until CEL goes off [ 10 Answers ]

#1 Jun 15, 2007, 11:40 PM Edeffect New Member Join Date: Jun 2007 Posts: 1 Honda Civic 94 won't start until check light goes off --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

93' civic error code 0, cranks but won't start [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, My 93 civic hatch died on me the other day while driving. It pretty much felt like I had run out of gas, even though I had a half tank left. So I got it towed to my house, and performed the little paper clip diagnostic test, and when I did, the check engine light came on and stayed on. When...

92' Civic Cranks but won't start. [ 49 Answers ]

I left my car sitting for about 2 days. I came home tried to start it and it started, but sounded horrible. I shut it off and decided to go get new plugs and wires, (it sounded like a bad plug to me). After installing the new plugs and wires the car fired right up but still didn't sound that great....

View more questions Search