Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jfarmer4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2006, 10:57 AM
    Help My Home is Flooding
    Every time it rains a lot we have water that seaps in to our sunken den under our hearth and under our back door. At times this can be a lot of water. We have put french drains in but have NOT been able to stop this water. I don't even know who to speak with. Can anybody give me a idea of at least who to talk to??

Thanks
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 29, 2006, 12:03 PM
    You may have to see about installing a drainge pump system,and yes it is expensive.:cool:
    jfarmer4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2006, 12:13 PM
    I hope not. I would hate to have a sump pumb in my den. I am hopeing someone will know who I should call to see about sealing the leak.
    Lotta Posts: 124, Reputation: 8

Jan 30, 2006, 06:00 PM
    Could you post a photo of the chimney and the roof area?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2006, 06:18 PM
    Is your lot properly graded so the ground slopes away from the house? That is the first step even if it means cutting a swale from the high side to the low. You may still have to put in a sump pump. It might be possible to put it in an adjoining part of the house or even outside. As long as you have a drain running from the den to the pump, it should work.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 31, 2006, 01:34 PM
    Any alterations done outside around these areas that might have disturbed the drain tile along the footers? Is this water entering under the door threshold? If so, seal under the door and where the walkway meets the door.
    At the hearth area, if the water is coming in where the concrete floor meets the hearth, try sealing with some hydrolic cement.
    If all else fails, like the others mentioned, you may need a waterproofing system.
    Don't look a this as a negative. Just about all installations are guaranteed for life and help w/ the resale of your house.
    A good company will know how to conceal the pump pit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flooding hot water, sewer stink? [ 15 Answers ]

Old (1962) slab house, southwest Florida. Half-bath off bedroom. A couple days of toilet gurgling, a couple back-ups, but no overflowing, and plunging worked. Then it wouldn't, but it would eventually run down empty and kind of breathe out that nasty sewer smell from time to time. I thought...

Minor basement flooding [ 2 Answers ]

Tonight we had a very bad rainstorm, and my basement window which is one of those below ground ones, allowed for some water to seep into my home. It basically hugged the walls and then puddled onto my carpeted basement room. I noticed it pretty quickly so was able to move furniture and electrical...

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

91 civic with stalling/flooding [ 17 Answers ]

(this was posted on a previous 91 civic problem thread... these problems sound different, so I posed a new question.. sorry about the double post) Hi all, Im a new owner of a 91 civic w/ 146k miles... the first two weeks I drove it, it worked fine. Then the problems... It would start to...

Basement Flooding [ 3 Answers ]

Just moved into a 100 year old home in New England, I had an alarm installed with a "flood" option... The alarm went off one early morning and I went downstairs to check the problem and found the basement was covered in two inches of water thanks to Spring thaw and a good deal of rain. It all...

View more questions Search