I have 1979 chevy pickup that just won't start
    I replaced the clutch drove it a couple of days and I just won't start
    I have plenty of spark and gas getting to the plugs
    I have replaced everything in the distrubetor
    I just can't figure it out please help
    Thank you:confused:
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jan 9, 2006, 09:37 AM
    Could it be that the spark is getting to the plug(s) at the wrong time? If the distributor was removed, it could have been replaced in the wrong position. Double check your plug wire routing with the firing order (probably shown on the intake manifold). If it backfires through the carb, some wires are probably crossed. While someone cranks the starter, try to rotate the distributor cw & ccw to get some results. Good luck
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2006, 09:52 AM
    Before I moved the distributor, I would turn the engine to where the mark on the fan belt pulley is lined up with timing scale. Then pull the distributor cap and make sure the rotor is pointing straight at the contact for the #1 plug or the one on the opposite side of the distributor. If not, then loosen it and turn it. The marks line up when #1 is both at the top of the compression stroke and the top of the exhaust stroke.

If you have points, make sure they have the right gap. Have you looked at the plugs?
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Jan 11, 2006, 08:14 AM
    I have tried that and still nothing changed pluds wires everything I can think of still nothing
    Any other ideas
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jan 11, 2006, 10:07 AM
    I re-read your original post, and from it I assume that one day you shut off the vehicle and some days later it would not start. Correct? That should rule out the failure of some component at the moment of shut down. The only other thing I can think of is a stuck float that may have allowed an excess amount of fuel to get into the cylinders. That could have the effect of gas washing the rings, preventing the engine from achieving enough compression to run. You might try pulling the plugs and check the compression. If low, squirt some light oil or WD-40 in the cylinders to help the rings to seal. Does the engine sound like it is trying to start, or does it just spin with no sign of life?
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Jan 11, 2006, 10:49 AM
    It sounds like it wants to start but can't quite get there
    I will try your suggestion on my days off
    And let you know how it works out
    Thank you
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2006, 10:58 AM
    One more straw, the ballast resistor. Check for 6 volts at the coil primary with the key on, but not the starter. In start, the ignition bypasses the ballast resistor supplying 12 volts to the coil. In run, it goes through the ballast resistor dropping it the 6 volts all coils used before electronic ignition. With an open resistor, it fires, but dies as soon as you release the key.
    cvgenterprise2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2011, 06:11 AM
    Hi
    I have a friend that has a 1979 Chevy Silverado Pickup Truck/350 engine that won't start. It won't get gas to the carborutor so I followed the fuel lines and I ending up replacing the fuel pump inside the gas tank. I took the gas tank down. The truck cranks good but still it didn't start. Come to find out I didn't know this truck has been parked for 2 years. Im going to change the spark plugs this morning. Also, when I pump the gas pedal, gas doesn't pump into the carb. What can I check there? Does the gas tank need to be full of gas? Is there anything else that I can check? Thanks. Victor
    cvgenterprise2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2011, 06:16 AM
    Hi
    I have a friend that has a 1979 Chevy Silverado PickUp Truck /350 engine/8 cyl. That doesn't start. It cranks well but it wasn't getting any fuel to the carborator so I traced the fuel line to the gas tank and replaced the gas fuel line in the gas tank. I had this problem before in another car of mine. It still didn't start. Come to find out this truck has been parked for 2 years. Im going to change the spark plugs and points this morning. What else can keep it from starting?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2011, 06:59 AM
    Old gas, carburetor gummed up. Check all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter. Also, check for spark.
    silverado79 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2012, 08:47 PM
    Hello, here's the situation - The battery cranks over well, the starter is turning, and right when the engine normally fires (2-3 seconds) there is a grinding sound like gears, so I shut it off - what can I do?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1994 chevy truck, no start [ 2 Answers ]

1994 chevy pick up, 2wheel drive, 1500 series. 5.7L motor. Have spark, but no injector pulse with noid light. No 12 second fuel pump run. I have checked all the firewall fuseable links. It has new computer, new module. I checked all fuse box fuses. I have power at injector but no ground. I...

Chevy G20 van won't start [ 2 Answers ]

My '82 Chevy G20 5.0L van won't start. I put in a new battery (probably not necessary) and the lights work, but nothing happens when I turn the key (the accessories won't work either: for example, the fan does not com on when I turn the key. Any ideas? I know that electrical problems can take...

1979 ford pu [ 3 Answers ]

Temature keeps climing gradually as I drive.have new water pump.I bypassed the heater.what causes it to heat up?

Headlights 1992 Chevy Pickup [ 1 Answers ]

I need to change the low beams on my 1992 C150 Chevy pickup and for the life of me I can not see how to get at the beams. Anyone got an idea how I accomplish this? Thanks Super Dave

1979 Accord... rpm's drop at 55mph [ 4 Answers ]

What is happening is when I drive the car and I go to 55 or higher the rpms drop to 0 and then when the car slows down to 50 it comes back on. We changed the coil but that did not fix the problem. Does anyone have any ideas?

View more questions Search