Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eddy123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 06:05 AM
    Not working light causes other lights not to work
    Hi

I was removing a ceiling lamp because of painting.
    There was contact between the ground and the live wires.
    After that the bulb burned out, but the real problem is that the majority of the lights on the same circuit do not work now.

Curiously after the bulb burned,
    Trying to wire together the live and ground wires fixed the other lights.
    But that was not the solution I thought.

Called in an electrician who spend few hours checking connections, but could not find the problem (the other lights not working problem).

The electrician said that all non working lights had an open neutral and that tracing where that happened it would require checking each point in the circuit from the fuse box.
    Even though he did check the most probable points (almost all of them).

Does this make sense ?

Please help
    Eddy
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2008, 09:00 AM
    I would suspect open neutral in ceiling box location. Also may be on a Multi circuit(2 hots sharing 1 neutral). It is perfectly safe. Except if neutral opens, those circuits may reach 240 Volts(the lighter load will receive the most voltage), Maybe why bulb blew. You may have to turn off 2 circuits to work safe.
    Eddy123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 09:39 AM
    Hi Stratmando

Forgot to mention that the ceiling box is the end of the circuit.

So anything wrong with it, it should not affect the other parts of the circuit.

But on the same time when I wired ground with live the rest of the circuit worked ( so this box affects the rest of circuit! ).

Very strange to me...

Maybe when I was playing around with it something else broke in the circuit, where now many lights have an open neutral.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2008, 10:28 AM
    I would start at other end, first bad light, or where switches are. Could be at main panel, if you know what circuit it is, follow from breaker to where it leaves Panel, and check whites that leave with that hot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore dishwasher not working. Lights blinking, tries but won't work [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore 66516712000 dishwasher. Tonight my daughter's bathtub was on the counter above it and the seam cracked letting a baby bath full of water drip down the counter and into the dishwasher. Now it has various lights blinking (Cancel is on, and turns on though I did not ask it too) ...

Recessed Lights: Light Switch does not work. [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I just installed 2 IC recessed lighting in our kitchen. One of the hole where I attached one of the recessed lights had 2 metallic flexible cables. 1 of which had 1 white, 1 red, 1 orange, and 1 green. The other cable had 1 white, 1 red, and 1 green. The recessed fixture has 3 wires: White,...

1994 MGM, Parking lights and side marker lights not working? [ 5 Answers ]

MY parking lights and side marker lights are not working, also my gauge lights are not working. When I press the brakes, all my lights work, my headlights also work and my turn signals and hazard lights turn on, but my inside gauge lights, side marker lights, and parking lights are not on. What...

One Switch two lights - the second light furthest away from light won't turn off [ 4 Answers ]

One Switch two lights - the second light furthest away from light won't turn off but the first one does Worked until I swopped the roses. Suspect that didn't do something right when putting them back. Up to now - left bulb out but need to get it to work now.

New hampton bay motor not working, lights work [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I just installed a new hampton bay carriage house II 52" ceiling fan with light assembly (no remote; pull strings for lights and fan, and two position fan switch). I used the wiring from a previously existing ceiling light. I tested the wiring by running them to a grounded plug assembly,...

View more questions Search