Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    damofive0 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2007, 02:02 PM
    Honda CRX brakes locking up
    Just bought an 88 CRX DX and had the entire brake system replaced as they were... and are still locking up. Car came from GA to FL so no major weather change.

The brakes lock up after about 10 minutes driving and of course the longer I try and drive
    The worse it gets (as I have repeatedly had to crawl to the nearest gas station)
    My mechanic is perplexed and now frustrated though I have spent my money there and
    They have to fix it due to liability.

The car has lowering springs and low profiles and I am wondering if any of this would
    Affect the brakes (I doubt it?)
    The mechanic said he had to replace some valve which they bought from the wreckers
    As you cannot seem to buy them new anymore?

This is a real challenging question as it has not been an easy replacement and repair and I hope that someone with the experience can help me.

Thanks
    Damo
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2007, 02:11 PM
    There's not much that can cause locking up and you didn't indicate if it was a single wheel or just the front or rear brakes. The wheel cylinders and calipers will generally unstick.

I don't know if your car has ABS and if it did, I don't think I can help with that system.

If it doesn't, then the proportioning valve would be a good candidate. It applies unequal force to the front and back wheels because of the center of gravity of the car. If it wasn't there, you'd end up with jerky stops and uneven brake front/rear brake wear.

If you follow the master cylinder brake lines, it will go into a block of sorts before going to each of the wheels. That's the proportioning valve.

Nov 21, 2007, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    There's not much that can cause locking up and you didn't indicate if it was a single wheel or just the front or rear brakes. The wheel cylinders and calipers will generally unstick.

I don't know if your car has ABS and if it did, I don't think I can help with that system.

If it doesn't, then the proportioning valve would be a good candidate. It applies unequal force to the front and back wheels because of the center of gravity of the car. If it wasn't there, you'd end up with jerky stops and uneven brake front/rear brake wear.

If you follow the master cylinder brake lines, it will go into a block of sorts before going to each of the wheels. That's the proportioning valve.

Thanks for your answer.
    No ABS. and it was the front and back though now seems to be just the front after all
    The new parts were put on.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2007, 02:58 PM
    Try lubricating the caliper pins with silicone grease. If they don't "float" properly, they can lock up badly. Easy job.

Nov 21, 2007, 05:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    Try lubricating the caliper pins with silicone grease. If they don't "float" properly, they can lock up badly. Easy job.
    Thanks for that.
    But should that be necessary with new calipers?
    Went to see car today and they had replaced the m cylinder again saying the previous new
    One may had been falty? This is becoming a nightmare but I will tell them about the silicone? Any other suggestions apart from that? Could anything else be related, i.e. steering
    Shocks... anything?

Thanks again.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 21, 2007, 05:31 PM
    Is the brake pedal returning all the way up? Did you happen to notice if the brake lamps are staying on..
    You may need to install an additional return spring. A brake pedal that even lightly applies the brakes, will cause the braking surfaces to become heated, causing more drag and slowing the vehicle.

Nov 21, 2007, 05:40 PM
    Comment on CaptainRich's post
    Gave me a new suggestion to troubleshoot the problem

Nov 21, 2007, 05:41 PM
    Comment on TxGreaseMonkey's post
    A new suggestion to trouble shoot problem... need all I can get at this stage.
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2007, 06:16 PM
    Yes. This factor is often overlooked when doing a brake job, new calipers or old. Don't use just any high-temperature grease--it won't hold up and will contribute to brakes grabbing and locking up. Only use silicone grease, Squeak Relief (silicone grease with moly), or possibly a synthetic brake caliper grease made by CRC.

Nov 21, 2007, 06:36 PM
    Wow I really hope it is this simple!
    Thanks and I will convey to the 'mechanic'
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2007, 07:02 PM
    I usually use Motorcraft Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound (XG-3-A). It's available at your local Ford or Lincoln/Mercury dealer. Honda only recommends silicone grease to lubricate caliper pins.

Did you use Honda pads or aftermarket? The compounding material makes a difference. If your Civic came with organic pads, don't use semi-metallic pads, for instance. Semi-metallic pads generate much more heat, which is also transmitted to the discs, calipers, and brake fluid.
    PalmettoFinesse Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Sep 9, 2008, 07:06 PM
    Well one thing I know is that the low pro tires and lowering springs aren't affecting anything, and I agree with captainrich... you made need to check your return spring, see if you brake pedal has a more spongey feel when you press it down or a harder more stiff feel to it, I know its not much but I just wanted to throw in my two cents, hope it helps some

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

84 Honda CRX [ 11 Answers ]

After 238,000 miles, my Honda suddenly developed a sputtering problem one day while I was just crusing down the road. I have to pump the gas pedal, and/or downshift to keep it running. It doesn't take much under load, I have to barely push or pump on the gas pedal, to build up speed. I know this...

94 Acura Integra Brakes Locking-up [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a 94 Acura Integra and just recently my brake light wouldn't go off and my husband said the brake petal was not reaching the button to make the light go on so he did something to fix that and not the lights turn on when you push the brake hard. Well I drove the car and now after you...

94 Acura Integra Brakes Locking-up [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have a 94 Acura Integra and just recently my brake light wouldn't go off and my husband said the brake petal was not reaching the button to make the light go on so he did something to fix that and now the lights turn on when you push the brake hard. Well I drove the car and now after you...

Brakes on a 87 Honda Accord [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1987 Honda Accord, I am single mother so I am LOST with a capital L on how to fix this. For a couple of days my brakes were real hard to press, then today as I was pulling into work I heard something strange and as I pressed the brakes I just kept rolling... ugh! So now when I press the...

92 Honda Accord Brakes [ 3 Answers ]

I Have A 1992 Honda Accord And This Morning When I Was Driving To Work The Brake Pedal Was Really Sluggish And I Had To Push It All The Way To The Floor To Stop. When I Got To Work I Noticed That The Driver Side Brake Resovior Was Dry But Not The Passenger Side What Could My Problem Be? Please Help...

View more questions Search