Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robbert Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 12:24 AM
    Catalytic converter,02
    I have a 98 accord, has run perfect for 10 years. The other day doing 60 down the road it just shut down. No lack of power, no rough running, just shut down. Coasted to side, it cranked over fine but would not start. Waited 5 minutes, started took back off a mile down the road at 60 again it just shut down. I have already had the factory recall on the ignition switch replaced. It has shown a check engine light for over a year. Mech ran code again and said it was either a bad o2 sensor or catalytic con. However he doesn't think that would just make it stop all of a sudden. He said if the converter was that bad it would run rough, it doesn't. He could not find any more codes. He pulled the dist cap and said it looked worn. Parts are ordered. He took it for a long test drive and it would not do what I said. Would a bad o2 or converter just make the car shut off
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 24, 2007, 06:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by robbert
    i have a 98 accord, has run perfect for 10 years. the other day doing 60 down the road it just shut down. no lack of power, no rough running, just shut down. coasted to side, it cranked over fine but would not start. waited 5 minutes, started took back off a mile down the road at 60 again it just shut down. I have already had the factory recall on the ignition switch replaced. It has shown a check engine light for over a year. mech ran code again and said it was either a bad o2 sensor or catalytic con. however he doesnt think that would just make it stop all of a sudden. he said if the converter was that bad it would run rough, it doesnt. he could not find any more codes. he pulled the dist cap and said it looked worn. parts are ordered. he took it for a long test drive and it would not do what i said. would a bad o2 or converter just make the car shut off
    Not likely.
    The problem may be a failing ignition control module or the ignition coil.
    Another possibility may be fuel pressure/volume.
    The key here is to being able to diag the car in the failed condition.
    If the converter was faulty, it would set a code. If it were partially clogged, you would likely experience a gradual loss of power. Not a complete and instant shut down, as you've described.
    Duane in Japan Posts: 282, Reputation: 8

Oct 24, 2007, 06:51 AM
    It also has been known for the recalled key switch to go bad again, go buy an adjustable spark tester at your local discount store. Be prepaired to do some diagnosis on the side of the road. The ignition coil could be overheating, the spark tester will get you to the point you need to be. Find your fuel filter and see if there is a 12mm bolt on top or on the fuel rail there will be a test port with a 12mm bolt, this is where you will check for fuel pressure during a no start also have your wrench ready, time will be limited. More info to come.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2007, 07:07 AM
    I'm certain your problem is electrical-related; therefore, perform the tests in Sections A and B below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...das-46563.html

You will likely find out that the problem is related to Ignition Control Module, coil, ECM, or distributor failure (internal sensors).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salary Converter [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am interested in moving to Spain. I am unsure of the salary exchange in spain. Is there a website I can look at for the information. I am concerned with the cost of leaving. I am from New York, NY - USA.

Catalytic converter [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I would like to know if anyone has had aproblem with a catalytic converter, and what the symptoms would be on your car, I have a 2005 nissan quest and it jerks rpm stays at 5 when on the highway, I have had a diagnostic test by the dealer ship and waiting for part to come in, but was...

79 Ford won't stay running (is it the catalytic converter) [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 79 Ford F100 with a 300 Straight six and it will not Idle or even stay reunning when I let off. It seemed to be running rich so I installed a new carb. After installing a new carb it ran fine for about 5 miles then it started acting up again. It runs great when I have my foot on the...

DVD Converter [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in search of free software to convert DVD to mpeg, that or other video formats. Can anybody please tell me where the software will be available? -Kishore

View more questions Search