Ask
    jz123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2007, 07:04 AM
    2000 civic - idle/stalling/start problems
    "HI, Recently bought 2000 civic 113,000 mi. First problem, surging, check
    engine light on. Went to autozone for free diagnostic
    Read code P0505, they said ICV needs replacing. Went back to dealer
    (under 30 day warranty) and he said it was a malfunction in the
    system, requiring cleaning and tweaking. They would not replace the part. No check light, but second problem still exhists below. Does that sound right to you?
    The SECOND PROBLEM we are having is random stalling. Will restart, but today started being more difficult to start and is getting worse.
    THIRD PROBLEM: hesitation on take off w/ resulting large amount of white exhaust and then the car goes. Not sure if these are related. Been back to the dealer 5 times
    in 3 weeks.
    They keep trying different things (plugs, wires, injectors, clean throttle... ) The problem is random, test runs fine-2 days later acts up again. PLEASE HELP This is my daughters first and we are losing faith in the reliability of hondas. Thanks, Bruce"
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2007, 07:13 AM
    For the second problem, test/replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil. AutoZone will test these for free. Here's what the ICM looks like:

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

Here's how to do the work:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

For the third problem, ensure the head is not cracked and leaking antifreeze. White smoke is often associated with antifreeze being burned during combustion.
    jz123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jz123
    "HI, Recently bought 2000 civic 113,000 mi. First problem, surging, check
    engine light on. Went to autozone for free diagnostic
    Read code P0505, they said ICV needs replacing. Went back to dealer
    (under 30 day warranty) and he said it was a malfunction in the
    system, requiring cleaning and tweaking. They would not replace the part. No check light, but second problem still exhists below. Does that sound right to you?
    The SECOND PROBLEM we are having is random stalling. Will restart, but today started being more difficult to start and is getting worse.
    THIRD PROBLEM: hesitation on take off w/ resulting large amount of white exhaust and then the car goes. Not sure if these are related. Been back to the dealer 5 times
    in 3 weeks.
    They keep trying different things (plugs, wires, injectors, clean throttle ...) The problem is random, test runs fine-2 days later acts up again. PLEASE HELP This is my daughters first and we are loosing faith in the reliability of hondas. Thanks, Bruce"
    Thank you! Would the "smoke" smell like exhause if that were the case I was driving behind her when it happened. Also it is very random and mechanice says it would be more consistent if that were the case. How true? They replace the head gasket before we purchased.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2007, 07:30 AM
    If the head gasket was replaced, it likely coincided with the car previously overheating. Overheating can warp and crack the head. Machine work is normally done to correct warping. If it's still smoking, something is wrong. It's important to take care of the cooling systems on modern-day cars, because damage can take place even if they overheat once.
    N2TECHNO Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Oct 16, 2007, 07:42 PM
    I have noticed a lot of dealers selling crap cars trying to hide defects I scouted 2 cars during one visit and the sales person played the car fax role tell I showed her over spray marks and a replaced radiator.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2000 HONDA CIVIC VP DX-idle control and sticky pedal [ 7 Answers ]

Hi there! I have a two questions about my 2000 Honda Civic VP (DX). Where is the idle control valve located? I took it to Auto Zone and they suggested that I clean it- I don't know much about cars but I really want to do it myself or my fiancé to help me. Also, the best way to describe my next...

2001 Honda Civic rough idle & stalling [ 42 Answers ]

I have a 2001 Honda Civic, with approx. 77k miles, that recently has started idling very low. It doesn't happen all of the time, but often, when I'm coming to a stop, the car shakes violently and I can see that the idle is very low. This has been occurring for the past 2 months. When it first...

2000 Honda Civic VP (DX) idle problems [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I noticed many helpful posts and would like to ask for some advice on my wife's 2000 Honda Civic VP 1.6l. It has almost 80k miles on it. Recently, the car had been idling pretty rough, to the point that it would vibrate and stall at a stop sign or traffic light. Then the "check engine"...

2000 Honda Civic Rough Idle [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2000 Honda Civic. Recently it started idling rough and low. I also have started to notice that it lacks power and surges when it is in overdrive. It runs great and still gets about 29 mpg other than that. If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.

2000 civic ex, cold start problems, runs fine otherwise [ 18 Answers ]

I need help, I read so many posts on here, TXgreasemokey seemed to be most helpful. Here is my situation I have 2000 civic EX, runs great normally never had an issue, Maintenance has been done at or before every interval. And I do have a mechanic in the family to help with things. I started...

View more questions Search