Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    the_jestster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Sears Mower won't start after oil change, blade sharpening & cleaning
    I spent a lot of time sharpening my blade on a 6 month old Sears self-propelled, key start, Briggs & Stratton 6.75 mower (yes I removed it first). While I was doing that I figured I'd clean it up and do an oil change. I tipped it up vertical to get to the blade and clean the underside with my pressure washer, then pulled the oil drain plug and drained the oil. I put the plug back in and the blade back on and put the mower horizontal once again. I was careful to only put in 20oz of oil as recommended on the dip stick. I put gas in it and - yeah you guessed it - it blew some smoke and won't start. :mad: I tried a couple of times (even punched the primer bulb 3 times since it was cold) and then thought I'd better give up and find out what the heck I did wrong.:(

Anyone out there with an idea of where I screwed up? :rolleyes: Was it having the mower vertical for an hour? It didn't but maybe a half an ounce of oil. Any chance just leaving it sit for a day or two will 'fix' the 'problem'? :confused:

Maybe if TheBriggsDude is around he knows what my problem is and maybe even how to fix it. Are you Out there TheBriggsDude? :)

Any help would be much appreciated - Thanks, the-jetster
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 14, 2007, 07:24 AM
    I believe that your plug may have some oil on it. Pull the plug and clean it, regap it. Spray some carb cleaner in the cylinder and pull the chord several times before reinstalling the plug.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 07:23 PM
    If what ballengerb1 said doesn't work, I am thinking you flipped the mower from the side instead of from the front. If you flipped it from the side, chances are you had the carb. On the bottom side, therefore filling the air filter and carb with oil. Check the air filter, and carb to see if there is oil in these two areas, if so , get some carb cleaner and clean the carb. And wash out the filter with warm soap and water and dry well, then slightly oil with sae 30. Then start your engine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sears Craftsman riding mower will not start [ 9 Answers ]

Sears Craftsman riding mower will not start. Not a click sound. Battery is good. I think the key switch is good. When I checked it has continuity when switched to ON. Where do I need to check next?

Circular saw blade sharpening [ 8 Answers ]

Any pointers on sharpening circular saw blades, can a 3 cornered file be used, what about setting the teeth. Also how about simple tools for sharpening carbide teeth

How do I change the blade belt on Toro 12OVHO 6.5 HP GTS Mower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Toro 6.5 HP GTS lawn mower, model #12OVHO. The belt has slipped off. After removing the blade and the cover, what else do I need to remove or loosen to be able to put the belt back on the blade's flywheel?

Sears Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower Blade adjustment [ 1 Answers ]

My Sears Craftsman 42" cut riding lawnmower has 2 blade decks. With the height adjustment lever in the highest position (or in any position), the left blade/deck cuts lower than the right. How do I adjust the left blade deck/blade to a higher position?l

Lawn Mower won't start (B&S) snapper [ 2 Answers ]

I didn't use it for 4 weeks. It won't start. I drained the gas and put fresh in it. Still won't start. Can I put started fuild or something in the tank to help it start?

View more questions Search