Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shadow1926 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2007, 05:22 PM
    92 Honda Civic main relay BAD?
    I read some very helpful tips on this problem but I have a question about this. It appears that I have the same problem. All the tips I read said that when you turn the key to the 2nd position and you should hear or feal 3 clicks if the main relay is working. Maybe I am just plain stupid but I only feel 1 and don't really hear that as well. It does appear that my check engine light goes off after about afew sec, but I can't feel a click or hear one. Does that matter? Also any clue of how much this part is going to cost me? Any easy tips for someone that knows almost nothing about cars to installing this? Thanks for any help you can give.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2007, 05:41 PM
    . These are for a 1992 Honda DX:

Zip Code Entry at PartsAmerica.com

It should be located where your left knee hits the kick panel. The bracket attaches with a 10 mm bolt. Remove the fuse box cover and lower dash panel for access. Turn key on and off to precisely locate the relay.

. Read sections A and B below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...das-46563.html

Be sure and answer the 3 basic diagnostic questions. If you can hear the fuel pump run, and the Check Engine Light goes off after 2 seconds, after the ignition switch is turned to ON, I don't think your main relay is bad.
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2007, 05:51 PM
    What symptoms are you observing with your car?

Jul 4, 2007, 06:10 PM
    I am not sure I hear the fuel pump run, (not sure what it is sounds like) The problem I have now is that it will not start, it will crank over but will not start. For about a year every now and again it would not start after driving it a short ways, I just thought I might have flooded it, after about a min. or so it would start up. About a week ago I got in and it wouldn't start at all. I replaced the Rotor and Dist. cap and it ran fine for a week. Now it won't start at all. I searched your comments and others on this site to get a lot of great help, but not sure if this is my problem. I did go to the fuel filter and checked to see if fuel would come out if I cranked the engine over and it didn't do anything, I did this both to the in and the out of the fuel filter. I have heard nothing but horror stories about having to replace the fuel pump so I am hoping this is not it. Thanks for the quick response!
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2007, 06:27 PM
    The fuel pump is located in the gas tank and should sound like a whine. Personally, I have never seen a Honda fuel pump fail. However, I have heard of many people replacing them, most of which I suspect were unnecessary. You can jump terminals 5 and 7 on the main relay and, if the fuel pump runs, you know it's not the problem.
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2007, 06:29 PM
    . After turning the ignition switch to ON, does the CEL go off after 2 seconds?

. Have you tested for spark?

Be sure and test all under-dash fuses with a test light or multimeter. Here's how:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

I can't tell you the number of times this has been the sole problem with someone's car. The fuel pump won't run if the corresponding fuse is blown.

Jul 4, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    . After turning the ignition switch to ON, does the CEL go off after 2 seconds?

. Have you tested for spark?
    Yes the check engine light goes off after about afew sec. And I did check for spark, It does spark when I take a spark plug wire off and check it. Hope this helps.

Jul 4, 2007, 06:37 PM
    Yes the Check engine light goes off after afew sec. and I have taken the spark plug wires off and checked them and I have checked for spark and I get it.

Jul 4, 2007, 06:41 PM
    What is the fuse I need to be looking for? I don't have a map or anything that shows which fuse is which. Is there a fuse with number or something that would let me know which is which? Thanks for all of your help.
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2007, 06:42 PM
    Have someone else turn the ignition key to ON, while you stand near the rear of the car and listen for the fuel pump.
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2007, 06:53 PM
    If you test all under-dash and under-hood fuses with a test light or multimeter, you don't really need to know which fuse controls what. If your car came equipped with SRS, check the ACG (ALT) (S) fuse. This may be under-dash fuse no. 24. If you don't have SRS, check under-dash fuse no. 12.
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2007, 07:12 PM
    Have you heard the fuel pump whine, when the ignition switch is turned to ON? If you can't hear it run, I would jump terminals 5 and 7 going to the main relay connector. Then, turn the ignition ON and you should hear the fuel pump run. If you don't hear it after doing this, replace the fuel pump. Fuel pumps can burn out, if the fuel filters are not replaced regularly. If the fuel pump runs after jumping terminals 5 and 7, but it didn't run when the ignition switch was turned to ON, replace the main relay.

Jul 4, 2007, 07:21 PM
    How do you count the fuses? From top and left to right then bottom and the same? Or from left (or right) and go top and them bottom and then the next and so forth?
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2007, 07:32 PM
    Top row: Spare Fuse, 12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23, Spare Fuse
    Bottom row: Spare Fuse, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11, Spare Fuse, Spare Fuse

Fuses 24 and 25 are off to the right.

Jul 4, 2007, 07:40 PM
    Any clue where I can look on line to make sure that each fuse is in the right place with the right fuse amp or color or how ever they do it? I did pull one red 75 out and looked at it, I think I got it back in the right spot but now I am out thinking myself (which is not hard to do). Thanks again for all of your help, you really do know you stuff!!
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2007, 07:46 PM
    Here's how to replace the fuel pump:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post234818
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2007, 07:54 PM
    No. Best thing is not to remove fuses and look at them, especially in the under-hood fuse/relay box. In the dark, cramped space, it's easy to replace them in the wrong slot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

91 Honda Civic: Main relay? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi: I am having problems with my '91 Honda civic DX when I drive for a while, then I stop the engine for 5-10 minutes to do some shopping or whatever... and then try to start again. It doesn't start at all. But if I wait another 5 or 10 minutes and I try again, usually starts. I don't have any...

1992 Honda Accord main relay [ 5 Answers ]

Can someone provide me a picture of where the 1992 honda accord EX coupe main relay would be in my dash? I just can't see it whatsoever. And are there any tips to removing/replacing it that would make it much easier? Thank you.

Why won't my 92 honda civic start even after replacing the main fuel relay? [ 3 Answers ]

My honda is still not getting fuel,even after replacing the main fuel/pump relay. I can't hear the fuel pump come on. It took several tries 2 days ago, now it won't get fuel at all. Should I replace the fuel pump? Do they act up a few times then die? I might add that when the car wouldn't start...

89 Honda Civic Main Relay [ 2 Answers ]

I have read the articles you have on the main relay, but have been unable to find the main relay in my 89 Civic hatchback. I found a relay close to the location where you said it should be but after replacing that relay I still do not have power to the fuel pump and the ecu still reads a code 16....

89 Honda Civic-fuel pump-main relay [ 3 Answers ]

Have 89 Honda Civic with a carb. Car wouldn't start replaced main relay. However the fuel pump won't work from the main relay. So I bypassed the main relay for a temp solution. The main relay was brand new. I am looking for a permanent solution. Help! & Thanks

View more questions Search