Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Preacherman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2007, 11:44 AM
    Brake Lights On Explorer
    I have a 2001 Ford Explorer. The fuse for the brake lights have gone out and I don't know which fuse it is. When I look in the ower's manual, the closes thing I see to brake lights is the brake pedal position switch. The bulbs are not blown because the tail lights, reverse lights and the flashers work. :confused:
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Here's how to properly test all under-dash and under-hood fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

You may want to spray the brake light switch, which is located just above the brake pedal, with WD-40. If this doesn't solve the problem, remove the switch and clean connections with abrasive cloth. Test switch continuity with a multimeter. As a last resort, replace switch.

If the problem persists, have someone depress the brake pedal, while using a test light or multimeter to probe for power in the brake light sockets. Ensure sockets are free from corrosion. Once you get power to the brake light sockets, apply a thin coating of dielectric grease to the base of each bulb.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brake lights on ford explorer [ 5 Answers ]

My brake lights on my Explorer are out. The problem is not the bulbs. What should I be looking for that would cause this problem? Appreciate any help. Mickey

Explorer Brake Lights stuck on [ 2 Answers ]

My explorer brake lights are stuck on. Is this something typical with an explorer? I have already unpluged the wire to the brake switch. Is the switch some I can get at the local automotive store?

2002 Ford Explorer Brake Lights Remain On After I Park And have left the Car. [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I am wanting to know why my rear lights remain on after I have parked and removed my key form the ignition. I don't even use the rear lights during daytime. Leads me to believe the lights must be brake lights. Can anybody tell me why these lights remain on? After I removed the Brake...

Ford explorer brake lights [ 2 Answers ]

What would be the problem if the hatch brake light works but the other 2 do not on a 2001 ford explorer . Its not the fuse or the bulbs and if the top light works I didn't think it woul;d be the switch. Help it's my wife's truck

Ford Explorer Brake Lights [ 4 Answers ]

My 2003 explorer brake lights will not turn off when I turn off my car. Can you help?

View more questions Search